Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 08:06 PM

Default I really don\'t know how to play AKo

This hand is against an unknown raiser, I just sat down at the table and this was in my big blind. I don't know whether I should have reraised for value or not, but I decided to play it safe since it was offsuit. I also don't know if my river check raise was a good idea or if betting out would have been a better idea. Thanks for the input.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.75.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
Old 01-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: I really don\'t know how to play AKo

Re-raise this pre-flop. The rest of the hand would then have played out differently depending on what the original raiser did. Check/raise looks like the best play on the river.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM

I would 3-bet preflop for value. You're killed by AA and KK and only a small dog to QQ JJ etc. Everything else you have dominated and you will have the best hand here most of the time.

I would fold the turn, the pot is too small for the number of outs you're drawing to.

I like the river check/raise as you're almost certainly ahead with that river card and MP1 will bet often enough for it to be better than leading out.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:15 PM

say he reraises pf, then lead the flop. They both call. Then on the turn are you betting out again?

Also in regards to wario folding the turn, your getting 9.5 to 1 on your money. You completely discrediting your outs then?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:18 PM

It would depend on the opponents and your table image but usually I'd say no.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:00 PM

I'm check/raising this hand on the flop, eventhough the pot is protected. You have the best hand here just about everytime IMO.

Brad
Old 01-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Well here are the results:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kc Ad (two pair, kings and sixes).
MP1 has Qs Qc (two pair, queens and sixes).
MP3 has 7d Kd (two pair, kings and sevens).
Outcome: MP3 wins 16.50 BB. </font>

I think MP3 is just the kind of guy that you shrug about when he wins, he called 2 cold so I couldn't have gotten rid of him at any point I don't think. But it seems like most of the people that I see raising at these micro limits are raising AA-JJ and AK/AKs, if I had known that these were the raiser's raising standards how would I play this hand? When I reraise with AK against these tight raisers I'm completely dominated some of the time, and I'm only a slight underdog the other times and I'm in a position to lose the most and make the least since they have a good idea about when they've been outdrawn on the flop and can bail. That's one of the main reasons that AK is such a losing hand to me I think, anyone have suggestions on this?