[ QUOTE ]
Hi.
Since you suggested Brazil, let me post some features for you:
-Warm weather and lots of beaches to choose from
-Costs of living are very low - properties will vary but
i guess they are cheaper in general
-Nice food, great barbecues and pizza
- good soccer play, very popular - since you are from England you may like that
- pretty good internet systems (if you get the right one... lol)
I dont know stuff about the taxes and laws about gambling, though. Probably not a great deal.
Also texas holdem is not popular here at all, nobody knows about it. Here i am limited to online play.
Hope that helped.. good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it helped, thanks.

Both myself and my wife are big soccer fans (I know that makes me very lucky [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

I have been looking at Brazilian properties on the internet and they are far less expensive than the UK (and in some great locations too). I might take a trip in the next few months and tour around a few.

Does Brazil have a national health service ((almost) free health care for all like the UK) or do you need medical insurance? Assuming the latter, how expensive is it?

Can you suggest any locations in Brazil that meet the criteria I mentioned. Some of the properties I looked at are in Fortaleza, Salvador de Bahia and Sao Roque. Do you know any of these places?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Places to live for internet pro

I recently moved to san diego ca. and it has everything youre looking for except property is outragiously expensive. But, if u go south to mexico (tj) property is very cheap. gl on home search
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to check out the following link to a previous discussion: Previous post

That link mostly pertains to tax implications of moving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That was very useful
Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suggestions I have had so far include New Zealand, ... I am looking for somewhere I can live near a beach in a warm climate ...

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, wrong, wrong

not even warm compared to England

I enjoyed the time I lived in NZ, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, wrong, wrong right back at you!

With the possible exception of Otago/Southland, New Zealand is warmer than the UK (I've lived in both places for long enough to know).

New Zealand has a temperate climate, the northern North Island has very mild winters, gradually getting colder the further south you go, but snow is relatively rare everywhere. Summers are generally pleasant, but rarely hot.

As far as other factors go, immigration is relatively easy, the school system is pretty good, cost of living is very cheap (compared to the UK). I believe you have to pay tax on gambling winnings if you're registered as a professional gambler though...

I'd look into the Nelson/Tauranga/Hawkes bay/Gisborne areas in New Zealand, relatively warm sunny microclimates, and great beaches. The water may not be quite as warm as you'd like though...

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about NZ (haven't seen any other posters from here).

And to Eratosthenes, where in NZ were you?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Wherever you go... Sell the £500k house and buy a nice £250k flat to let. That way you've got an asset investment to fall back on money-wise and somewhere-to-live-wise should the poker thing not work out. If it does work out you've got a steady nest-egg earner back here in blighty.

Good luck with whatever.

RH
Old 01-13-2005, 09:15 PM

We have great beaches and year round warm weather. But property can be high. You can live 20 miles inland and the price drops dramatically. health care is a bit screwed up. BTW I live in Florida in the USA. So far I have been here for two years and the lowest the temp has been is 41 degrees. Then it got to 80 that afternoon. health care and crime in Florida is terrible though.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 PM

crime in florida is not even comparable to the crime in many 3rd world countries.

and crime in fort myers isn't even comparable to crime in many other parts of the stats (miami, tampa).

In fact, i would think the crime-rate there would be one of the better reasons to consider that area...not one of the detractors.

20 miles inland from fort myers gets pretty damn hot in the summer. Not that it's exactly 'cool' closer to the beach....but it doesn't get up to 105+ when you're inland.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have great beaches and year round warm weather. But property can be high. You can live 20 miles inland and the price drops dramatically. health care is a bit screwed up. BTW I live in Florida in the USA. So far I have been here for two years and the lowest the temp has been is 41 degrees. Then it got to 80 that afternoon. health care and crime in Florida is terrible though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like Florida and have been on vacation there about 5 times in the last ten years (back again in October). I even have a US bank account in Orlando. I wouldn't mind living in Florida as property is not too badly priced (or at least not last time I checked) and I have always enjoyed myself in America, whether it be Florida, Calfornia, Las Vegas or New York (even Columbus, Ohio once). However, the US is not an easy country in which to gain residence and poker winnings are taxable. Anyone who knows an easy way to gain US residency please let me know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2005, 10:24 PM

Since your sole income source will be poker, couldn't you just come on a tourist visa? (90 days I think). Then a few times a year do "visa runs" out of the country as needed? Since you will be playing poker online you would have no need for a work permit. Just a thought.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:29 PM

Depends where you live in Aus. Cost of living in sydney is actually higher than nearly anywhere in the US (think only NYC). If you want to live outside of a major city, it's cheap.