Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 11:49 PM

Default What game do they play on Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels?

What are the rules and is it popular in the UK or anywhere else?

Tiltaniac
Old 01-13-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: What game do they play on Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels?

This is a completely pointless post in response... but...

They do explain the names and order of rank in the movie, just gotta listen to it a couple of times....

The betting structure seemed weird though, they seemd to be betting less than the minimum bet that we are used to dealing with. IE the raise is less than the original bet.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:53 AM

iove seen it several times and still have no clue.

whats all that "open" stuff??

I feel like a n00b when i watch it with friends and they ask me to explain the game :/
Old 01-13-2005, 06:23 AM

From my memory ( I last saw the film a few years ago ) the game is three card brag. It is a British game that is most popular in London. It isn't as popular as it used to be because everyone now plays poker. It has the same kind of hands as poker, one pair, trips, straight etc, though because the chances of getting each is different from regular poker the hand rankings are different.

The players have the option of looking at their hand in which case they are said to be 'open', or not in which case they are deemed 'blind'. Now you would think you have to be mad not to look at your hand, but there are two advantages. Firstly an open player must put twice as much into the pot as a blind man, so if the blind bets $10 it costs the open player $20 to call him. However, he can't call him because the second edge the blind man has is that an open player can't call a blind man, if he wants to be in the pot he must raise. I'd still rather be open, but it allows mad agressive bluffers their day in the sun. I would have thought that any vaguely competent player just calculates what the top 15 percentile of hands is, and beats the living daylights out of any blind player with these hands.

The betting structure is weird, from what I remember of the few times I have played it if you bet $40 then I can raise simply by going $45, it is now $45 to you if you want to call. However obviously you can avoid this by simply putting $50 in the pot, it would now be $50 to me to play. I can remember at the time wondering why anyone would ever call a bet when it meant them putting in more money than the raiser.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:12 AM

I asked pretty much the same question less than a day ago, and got a pretty good website in response that gave me complete (and, completely strange) betting rules.

It is three card brag, by the way.

Look for a thread in "other poker", started by "LuckYou777", and called "3 card brag? i think? help me out here."

best of "luck".

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="green"> "3 Card" Monte Green </font> [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]