Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 PM

Default RESULTS

After I checkraised the turn, my opponent folded. Even though this worked, I don't know if it was the right play...I think the checkraise on the turn was a good semibluff but using it indiscriminately is probably wrong. Thanks for comments and more welcome.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: 15-30 Hand: How do you like my line?

I guess I am assuming it's Party 15/30 and I know how that game goes with the maniacs and calling stations and all, but, wow. I guess right off what came to my mind was "if you continued to play this way you would not have a bankroll left, especially in that game." A9s UTG is a hard limp there because you will often get 2 or 3 bets shoved in behind you, which you did on this hand. And normally you don't even want to see an ace come on the flop, especially after that kind of pre-flop action. So, just what are you hoping to catch if the guy has a real hand (AA, AK, AQ)? I guess I take the conservative play with A9s UTG most of the time and fold.

But, since you limped....and got heads up, you have to play it aggressively, and you did with a good result. But remember, especially in Party's 15/30, unless you are against a good solid player (one capable of folding) you are going to get called down on this hand and be likely beaten by a pair of eights, jacks, or even deuces. I've seen stranger things there.

My personal opinion is that it's a low percentage play with these circumstances, however, once in a while if you go "maniac" on the table and use it for advertising it works wonders. I personally like it better from late position and against people I know are capable of folding their hands against aggressive action.

Interesting hand though. Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:05 AM

hi jeff

the limp in from UTG with that is not stellar. generally, when you make a borderline type play, you should proceed a little more cautiously than you normally otherwise would. that said, the reraise is not good.

on the pre-flop, before any action is taken, you must decide whether or not you are going to make a move designed to fold out your opponent. if you are going to, then you must do everything that you can to make the move work. in this case, pre-flop, you know that when it's folded back around to you that you are likely going to flop a draw that may improve to a hand that you can make a move with, but that may not improve to a powerfully made hand as often as it will improve up to a good solid drawing type hand. A9s has this distiguishing characteristic. so when it's folded back around to you pre-flop, since you will likely not be making a turn value raise or value check-raise, but rather a turn play designed to get the fold, you must do everything you can to make your opponent's call of your turn action incorrect. and of course, that means to manipulate the size of the pot downward, which, incidently is one of the reasons you didn't raise in to begin with. you limp reraise anyway, however.

no, no jeff. your making a move to get the fold. you didn't just stumble upon this idea on the flop, as a solid player, you planned this as soon as you saw your starters would likely improve to a draw that might give you the ability to fold-out the right opponent. bingo, the right type opponent raises and it gets folded back to you. you must call. raising makes it far less likely that a check-raise on the turn will fold out. you should also see well ahead that you must make a sudden reverse of your previous play in the hand. again, this mandates a pre-flop call, and flop check-call under those conditions. on the turn, now make your sudden reversal check-raise. as it is, your opponent will not fold when you check-raise because you have forced him to put you on his hand. he may think you have the same hand as he has since you limp reraised his raise. he will call you 100% of the time.

i haven't seen the results or read any of the threads, i never, ever do. but i'll say he called and then you drew out on him. and that's fine the times that it works. usually though, it doesn't work like that. instead, you will far more often hit a 9 on the river that you will have to either bet or check-call. also, a scare card can hit that gives your opponent the initiative should you check the river. played correctly, your sudden reversal check-raise will be so frightening that you have a lot more knowledge about where you stand on the river those times your opponent calls the check-raise.

i think you went whoops but got lucky and drew out. let's see.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:20 AM

I really dislike the pf reraise...In todays games people never believe that anyone has anything.

The turn is ok...provided he can lay down a hand.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:27 AM

great post as usual.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:25 AM

I wouldn't even play A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG in a $15-$30 game. I think you're reraise PF was really questionable too... what kind of edge did that raise give you? (not being sarcastic. i play limits alot lower than 15-30, and i really am curious about what went on in your mind with the reraise). Like the turn play, though.

best of "luck".

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="green"> "3 Card" Monte Green </font> [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2005, 11:39 AM

I like the turn C/R given a read of some sort.... and the flop bet seems mandatory given that you 3-bet pre-flop (which i am not clear on). As a whole I think playing hands this way is -EV with no read since the chances of being called down are good.... but hopefully you scared him off of AQ or he decided to not call the river with ace-high.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Wrong

You seem be confusing the concept of semi-bluffing with bluffing. In this instance, assuming Jeffage will give up on bluffing the river, and his opponent never reraises, but Jeffage needs a straight to win if called, the semi-bluff reraise starts to show a profit over simply calling if his opponent folds about 7.5% of the time, (if my hasty math is correct.) You might want to read David Sklansky’s book “The Theory of Poker” to help you better understand these concepts.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
instead, you will far more often hit a 9 on the river that you will have to either bet or check-call

[/ QUOTE ]

erm... Its more likely to hit one of 3 cards than one of 8 cards?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:59 PM

I agree the preflop play is debateable. Basically I was looking to play a multiway pot as the game had been loose, but when I was "isolated" (which many players will do in this game with weak holdings like K10, Ax, etc) and all folded back to me, I decided to reraise and represent a big hand b/c it could possibly enable me to win without hitting anything. Not something I would do everytime, but I decided to in this situation.

Jeff