Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Popping My Cherry! First Hand Post!

First, let me say thanks to everyone who has already helped my game tremendously as I've been soaking up this forum for weeks. I found myself uncomfortable in this hand and could use feedback on all streets. Thanks in advance.

CO is loose-passive with VPIP 33% and PFR 2.9%
Button is maniac with VPIP 90% and PFR 21%
I had about 100 hands on each when this hand came up.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (21.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 33.25 BB
Old 01-12-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Popping My Cherry! First Hand Post!

haha first hand post and its in the wrong forum! this is small stakes *no limit*
Old 01-12-2005, 06:58 PM

Wrong forum...
Old 01-12-2005, 06:59 PM

I don't like drawing with non nut flushes on paired boards.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:23 PM

Against these players, and with that gutshot, I do.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:25 PM

lets say flop play wasn't too bad.

what about when CO caps the turn?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:47 PM

1. Fold preflop. You dont have enough limpers to be playing a small suited connector, let alone out of position and when you don't close the action.

2. I think the play here is fine. It looks from this action like you're up against two big aces. CO's preflop limp is a bit odd since he should have raised to steal. So I'd watch this guy on 4th street.

3. I think this street was misplayed.

On the turn I think it is better to lead. Lots of people will come out swinging on the flop with a big pair even though an ace fell. So for example, if Button had a hand like KK-JJ, his play might be aggro on the flop, but passive on the turn given the flop action. Similarly, if CO had an ace-rag or even a hand as good as AT, he might be concerned about his kicker, so he might not bet on 4th street. Since you made your hand, you want to make sure this street gets bet, so bet it. Dont checkraise here.

Having said this, when you get raised and re-raised, you need to slow down. The fact that you check-called two bets cold on the flop signals to everybody watching that you were on a draw. The club comes, and these guys are still cap-happy. So now you need to start worrying about being up against either a bigger flush (say CO had KQs), or a boat (button had AJ, cutoff had 22, etc).

4. On the river, hold your nose and pay off. You did the right thing by not betting the hand, but between these guys, you're going to get taken for a 4-bet ride, and I dont think your hand is good.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Ummm, sorry.

It must be some kind of voodoo. I really thought I knew better than post my first hand in the wrong forum, but I guess I couldn't overcome the demons. Sorry guys, thanks for the help though.