Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 05:59 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Fun With KK

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what game you claim to play in where people won't bet this turn w/ an A, cuz I've never seen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never play in a game where a flop raise puts weakies into a shell/call-down mode?

Mucks 10-20 or lower. Not a claim, it's a fact. Or any of the many passive, fear monster games, I usually find myself in. They'd need at least 2 pair to take a stab on the turn after that flop action.

Last night i played in a game where a regular guy had top pair, decent kicker and never made a bet with it. Even after being checked to 3 times. You may be amazed at what I see many people fail to bet with and how they justify their 'fears' of betting.

Again, what are they putting you on that you'd play the flop that way yet check the turn? Unless you have a history of way overplaying a hand on the flop or they have at least 2 pair. This assumes reasonable opponents. If they are on the overaggro side, you can get away with it a little more, obviously.

b
Old 01-11-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More power to you if you can pull it off. I try it and it gets checked behind.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same bernie, now I do it less often and normally with an indication about the player. I used to get very frustrated whiffing the turn cr in spots like this; seemingly everytime I tried.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Mucks 10-20 or lower. Not a claim, it's a fact. Or any of the many passive, fear monster games, I usually find myself in. They'd need at least 2 pair to take a stab on the turn after that flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie is totally right on the money here. Every time I go to the Muck I hvave to remind myself of this and to adjust to the *massivly* passive play compared to online. This would likely get checked through by the regulars at the Muck. Now one of the kids with glasses and a hat on the other hand...

At party this is a great line though. Someone with an A will bet.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 AM

On a more passive table, you can get away with this by just calling the BBs flop raise, then c/r the turn since the likelihood of him betting the turn increases quite a bit. The BB isn't drawing when he raises into the field. He's not going for a free card.

b
Old 01-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Nothing is [censored] dude, nothing is [censored]!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 PM

looking at this from one of the villain's perspectives, what do you three bet the flop with that you then check for any other reason than to checkraise? I think their turn bet is stupid, and you'd get your turn "free card."

I guess I'm posting it from that standpoint to ask why you thought a checkraise would work.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a more passive table, you can get away with this by just calling the BBs flop raise, then c/r the turn since the likelihood of him betting the turn increases quite a bit. The BB isn't drawing when he raises into the field. He's not going for a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that if you 3-bet the flop that this would get checked through on the turn. It seems that the regulars at the Muck react to a 3-bet as if you have 3 aces in the hole... and by this I mean, they will back off unless they have a total monster.. yet, they will still be willing to call down with bottom pair [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (I'm speaking about 4/8, I don't have much experience with the higher levels)

Anyway, I agree that at a passive table, the best line is to smooth call flop raise and then cr the turn.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think their turn bet is stupid

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm posting it from that standpoint to ask why you thought a checkraise would work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because, despite the idiocy of it, they bet their A all the time.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(I'm speaking about 4/8, I don't have much experience with the higher levels)

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd slow down on the 10-20 too. Did i mention that's a great game? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

20-40 they would slow down. Though you might get away with it against a slect few of them.

b