Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 10:59 PM

Default 15-30 Hand: How do you like my line?

I played this hand a little unorthodox so I thought it was interesting. I'm interested in opinions.

I limp utg with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Folded to MP who raises. Others, including blinds, fold and I reraise. MP calls and we see a flop of 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, MP raises, I call. The turn is the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving me an open ender. I check, MP bets, I raise. My thoughts are people will often raise an EP limper with less than ideal cards in this game...maybe I can get him off some kind of small pair or whatver and if not, I have outs. Comments?

Results later...

Jeff
Old 01-11-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: 15-30 Hand: How do you like my line?

i think you spewed alot of chips. the turn checkraise is fine tho.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:37 PM

You are getting about 7-2 on your turn semi-bluff and this looks extra scary now after you've limp-reraised preflop. Although you only have to have him fold 25% of the time to break even, I find it hard to believe the typical party 15/30 player is going to fold more than 25% with the pot this big.

Any info on this particular opponent would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:42 PM

Unfortunately, I have no info on this opponent...he just sat down and I don't know him.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I have no info on this opponent...he just sat down and I don't know him.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't try this against an unknown. in party 15/30, unless the board is AKQx pocket pairs are getting shown down like 80% of the time no matter what you do.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 PM

id like to specify that enon's math is incorrect, as you have to factor in the amount of times that you hit your outs and actually win the pot. he has 8 outs here, with 11 in most circumstances.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Are you betting the river unimproved if he calls?

Justin A
Old 01-12-2005, 12:23 AM

Yes...I would be getting about 10-1 he folds a big ace or smallish pair on the end.

Jeff
Old 01-12-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played this hand a little unorthodox so I thought it was interesting. I'm interested in opinions.

I limp utg with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Folded to MP who raises. Others, including blinds, fold and I reraise. MP calls and we see a flop of 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, MP raises, I call. The turn is the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving me an open ender. I check, MP bets, I raise. My thoughts are people will often raise an EP limper with less than ideal cards in this game...maybe I can get him off some kind of small pair or whatver and if not, I have outs. Comments?

Results later...

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the Party 15, I think this is a chip-spewing play unless it's opponent-specific. Really, in any game, against almost any opponent, I don't like it. Given the drawish nature of the board, your opponent is highly unlikely to release on the turn here, both because he knows that you might have a draw and he probably has one himself. And once he gets to the river, good luck getting him to fold a better hand.

And another simple point. You limp-reraised UTG, then led the flop and your opponent raised. Then, a card that is very likely to have helped him pops off on the turn and you think he'll fold to a check-raise. Something tells me that he likes his hand here.

Your point about EP limpers being raised light is well-taken and correct, but you were wrong to play like this postflop. If it worked, it was a miracle. A very expensive miracle.

The Bear
Old 01-12-2005, 12:42 PM

I think you played brilliantly because you also might hit the flush when 6th board card comes.