Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Ugly 99

I agree that the river bet was wrong and thought i'd get flamed for it when i posted, but still not sure bout the flop.

Is the stop n go the superior play here?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, there is some really questionable advice sprouting up in this thread so far. Someone wants to checkfold this raggedy flop, because a Villian-TAG three-bet preflop?

Someone else said that they like the river bet, even though there is no way a better hand is folding, and the odds of Villian having and calling w/AK seem much worse than the odds of Villian having a better PP. Consequently, I would check and call the river, which will likely cost me a bet if Villian has AA/KK, save me a bet when he probably checks behind with JJ/QQ, and win me an extra bet on the occasional times when Villian has AK and thinks a bet here will push me off of my supposed AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of inciting the powers that be...

my analysis discounted the possibility of AA/KK in Villain's range of hands due to Villain's lack of aggressiveness on the flop and turn or to reiterate in the form of a question... WIth AA/KK wouldn't you expect TAG to cap the flop and/or raise the turn. I think yes.

That said... I reduced Villain's range of hands to be JJ/QQ or overs. If so, wouldn't bet/call the river be appropriate?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said... I reduced Villain's range of hands to be JJ/QQ or overs. If so, wouldn't bet/call the river be appropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the villain likely to call with overs?

What hands is he raising the river with (after hero 3 bet the flop and led the turn) that 99 beats?

-McGee
Old 01-12-2005, 05:46 PM

"Is the villain likely to call with overs?"

He is more likely to call with overs then he is to raise w/JJ or QQ.

"What hands is he raising the river with (after hero 3 bet the flop and led the turn) that 99 beats?"

Unfortunately, I don't know that he is raising the river when I am first to bet. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is more likely to call with overs then he is to raise w/JJ or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. But he's not folding JJ or QQ either.

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I don't know that he is raising the river when I am first to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. But betting with the intention of calling a raise if it comes is very rarely going to be right here.

-McGee
Old 01-12-2005, 08:40 PM

What hand will villain hold that raises the river? Other than bluff, there are no river raises, here. That's the point. Betting out the river is for value.