Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Ugly 99

Is this the standard line? Villian is 6 PFR 16 VP$IP

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 01-12-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Ugly 99

Against a 16/6, I'm assuming that preflop 3-bet means a higher pocket pair than yours. The flop raise doesn't necessarily confirm that as an aggressive player might raise there with AK, but I still don't like your chances.

If it's me, I call the 3-bet and check/fold the flop, unless villain has some insanely aggressive post-flop numbers...then I call down on a low board.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 AM

Against the player you describe I would checkraise the flop. If he 3-bets, call and fold the turn unimproved. If he calls, lead the turn and fold to a raise. If he calls your turn bet, bet the river. (barring ugly ass cards like A's or K's)
Old 01-12-2005, 01:50 AM

Good line all the way thru. You may have lost to JJ or QQ but nothing you can do. AA and KK should have played back harder.

I think you must bet the turn (charge villain if he is on overs) and you can safely fold to a raise.

On the river, I see it as a bet under theory that you ought to lead if you intend to call. If villain was going to raise he would have hit you up on the turn.

One of the interesting questions here and would be how you or your stats appear to villain. The more aggressive you appear the more likely it is that he would cap the flop and/or raise the turn. The less aggressive your stats are the more likely it is he just calls down w/ JJ/QQ.

Then again, I could be off the wall.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a 16/6, I'm assuming that preflop 3-bet means a higher pocket pair than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone with 16/6 stats is a TAG, so assuming that his 3-bet has to be an overpair is just wrong, although I would agree that it is probably more likely than not to be an overpair vs. AK.

[ QUOTE ]
If it's me, I call the 3-bet and check/fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I knew this villian to be extremely rockish there is no way I'm not showing down this hand unless an A or K falls.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:25 AM

Unless I knew this villian to be extremely rockish there is no way I'm not showing down this hand unless an A or K falls.

chesspain,

do you like this river bet then? do you like the whole hand?

what is the flop 3-bet for? to save bets agains a hand to which you are drawing dead?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:29 AM

Man, there is some really questionable advice sprouting up in this thread so far. Someone wants to checkfold this raggedy flop, because a Villian-TAG three-bet preflop?

Someone else said that they like the river bet, even though there is no way a better hand is folding, and the odds of Villian having and calling w/AK seem much worse than the odds of Villian having a better PP. Consequently, I would check and call the river, which will likely cost me a bet if Villian has AA/KK, save me a bet when he probably checks behind with JJ/QQ, and win me an extra bet on the occasional times when Villian has AK and thinks a bet here will push me off of my supposed AK.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

chesspain,

do you like this river bet then? do you like the whole hand?

what is the flop 3-bet for? to save bets agains a hand to which you are drawing dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I stated in another reply, I hate the river bet. FWIW, I'm not real crazy about the flop three-bet, as I might prefer to stop-and-go instead if a blank falls on the turn.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:41 AM

I've been in this situation countless times at the party 2/4 and 3/6. I'd have to construct quite a query to my pokertracker database to be certain, but it intuition tells me for every time I beat his AK/AQ or ATs, 5 times I'm shown JJ or QQ.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:49 AM

Does anyone else want to stop n go on the flop/turn? I mean bet out on the flop, and call if raised. Then bet out to a blank turn and fold to a raise. This prevents the villain from getting a free card with AK if thats what he was after, plus I think he loses the least against AA or KK, who is likely to raise the turn if hero stop n go's.

Anyone care to tell me why this sucks?