Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Book Review Of Ed Miller\'s SSHE On Amazon

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You use SSH when you have six or more to a flop and HEFAP when the game is tighter, regardless of the stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm curious - assuming HEFAP is Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Payers - is Sklansky's Hold'Em Poker worthwhile? Does it "bridge" SSH and HEFAP?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's mostly a beginners book.

And Steamboatin is wrong, SSH is way more applicable to say the PartyPoker 3/6 game than HEFAP is, and 6 people to a flop is semi-rare.

If your opponents are decent or better postflop, then HEFAP shines.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody the book he refers to: Stepping Up by Burgess?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also wondering about this book. Personally, this is the first time I've ever heard of it. Can anyone recommend it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy used to post here for a while. I haven't seen him in a while - perhaps we ran him off.

I haven't read this book, so I won't make any comments on it. Randy seemed like a very knowledgable guy, but he is not even close to Ed. Ed is a phenom. I've known it ever since he was majorkong and living in Seattle. I didn't know who he was or that he went to MIT, but it was obvious that the guy was brilliant.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, the authors basically assume that low-limit Hold'em games are played by complete and utter morons. People who have absolutely no concept of solid play, pot odds, outs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sure, some people play stupid, but probably only one or two at any given table

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where the author of that review plays poker, but I find that most low limit games (and mid limit for that matter) are played by complete and utter morons, and it's usually the case that only one or two people at most tables (including myself) have any idea how to play well.

I just got my copy of SHE, and I think it is far and away the best holdem book I have read (including HPFAP). For the most part, it confirmed that most of what I was doing was correct, but after reading it, I concluded that I was in some cases playing draws a little too passively. I find that it is much more applicable to the games I play (mostly Party 15/30 plus they occasional 2-5 spread limit live game) than HPFAP. I can only say to the reviewer: Keep following the weak-tight bible (aka Winning Low limit Hold 'em). You won't be donating nearly as much to my pots as the calling stations and maniacs, but you will be donating.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the guy berating all the terrible players for drawing out on him. It's probably also the guy berating you for completing a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe just the guy who types "unbelievable" into the chat window every friggin' time somebody gets a straight or flush to beat his top pair.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:55 PM

Before I read SSHE I was breakeven at best (on a very good day) - now it's +2.8BB at the microlimits and I intend to carry on learning and improving.

That book opened my eyes to a lot of stuff - indispensable.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:38 PM

While his original book IS more for beginners, I can't see the harm in at least making sure all of those fundamental theories are in place so picking it up and reading it certainly wouldn't be detrimental to your game -- and you're apt to pick up a good piece of advice (or three) along the way.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-11-2005, 07:12 PM

Actually, the breakthrough for me was Abdul's articles, especially his preflop article. These indtroduced me to the concept of pot equity. Abdul doesn't use that term, but he talks about betting and raising with hands that win more than their fair share. My first poker book was WLLHE. To make matter worse, it was the first edition, which has a ridiculously passive preflop strategy. My second book was TOP, which helped a lot, but it wasn't unil I unlearned a lot of the weak-tight crap from WWLHE that I started to win consistently.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, a reliance upon common sense is what causes most players never to figure out how to play well."

[/ QUOTE ]
Quote of the year [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img], I love it.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:40 PM

Steamboatin is not wrong. Steamboatin was making a general statement regarding the differences in the two books in question and did not imply that it covered every possible game in every possible venue.

You picked a specific instance and said because this one situation is like this, then Steamboatin's general statement is wrong. Steamboatin's statement regarding using SSH for loose games and HPFAP for tight games while general in nature is correct more often than not.

I didn't realize I would be dealing with an anal retentive nick picking ass or I would have phrased my statement differently. I would have said "It is important to own and study both SSH and HPFAP so that you can understand the differences in various games that you might encounter while playing poker. This understanding of both books, will allow you to select the proper strategy to maximize your profits in the various games that you encounter."

Or I could just have SteamTroll tell you to go bite one.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 PM

Bite One!