Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Tough call with AQ preflop

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

MP2 ($26.1)
MP3 ($69.35) (seems to play somewhat well overall, but he just lost 3 moderately sized pots in a row and appeared to be tilting a little last hand with an A2o preflop raise after 2 people called in front)
CO ($20.8)
Button ($17.4)
SB ($24.05)
BB ($23.65)
UTG ($24.25) (this guy just sat down a few hands ago and folded all of them)
UTG+1 ($32.5)
Hero ($24.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2.5</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $2.50, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $4.5</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) folds, BB folds, UTG calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($14.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises $30</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $4.75 and is all-in.

Turn: ($51.55) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($51.55) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $51.55

that preflop reraise scared me ALOT. i was looking for reasons to fold, but when i considered the way MP3 played the previous hand, i felt it was worth $2 to see a flop with the intention of folding unless i hit TPTK. i only allowed myself to call that reraise because 1) i was ending the betting, 2) UTG called, and 3) i promised myself that i would fold unless the flop was Queen high with no straight draws for big cards. so was this a novice play or not?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Tough call with AQ preflop

Muck that preflop. AQ does not play well into a raise, let alone 2.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Tough call with AQ preflop

Fold twice pre-flop. The range of hands he could be raising with makes it unprofitable to be calling that. The re-raise makes me think he has a hand like KK or QQ so you are probably dominated. Fold there too, but I wouldn't get to this point. The flop is alright but based upon the hands that MP3(?) could have, I bet you are dominated. His re-raise could also be AK so that is bad for you pre-flop, but good for you on the flop. If I were closing action or had position in the hand, I might call the first raise, but I'd definetly fold to the second raise, no matter how flaky the guy has been. Just wait for a hand where you know you will have him dominated and then pounce.