Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Another TPTK

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($9.75)
UTG ($24.65)
UTG+1 ($17.75)
MP1 ($18.95)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($24.45)</font>
MP3 ($32.30)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($15.75)</font>
Button ($5.55)
SB ($18.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.25, MP3 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.35) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.35</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2.7</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $2.70, Hero calls $1.35.

Turn: ($9.45) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

OK, now it's no longer just TPTK. Does that change anything? How does Hero proceed?

Did Hero already mess up the flop?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Another TPTK

You left out all of the information on your opponent. And you forgot to raise preflop too. =/
Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 AM

I had just sat down recently so no info on opponents. And...um...the preflop call was actually a misclick. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 01:10 PM

obviously you want to play this hand for the rest of your stack on the turn. he has lower 2 pair very often. so your choices are either c/r or bet out. it is pretty close between these two options. it would be a clear c/r if he didnt show on the flop that he is capable of massively underbetting the turn, making it alot more difficult for you to get all in. also if you had any reason to believe he he would make that small flop raise with a big draw, it would be an easy bet out. however, since the ace is almost definently a scare card for him, and bad players feel committed more than they should, i would go for the c/r. if he bets too small for you to push, just make a normal sized raise the bet the rest on the river.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:22 PM

Why not reraise on the flop, he could easely raise you with a worst King or draw, and UTG+1 just called, I would reraise like 8 $ more, and then push on the turn, my goal is to be all-in on that hand, especially with your opponents small stacks.

Is it too aggressive ?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not reraise on the flop, he could easely raise you with a worst King or draw, and UTG+1 just called, I would reraise like 8 $ more, and then push on the turn, my goal is to be all-in on that hand, especially with your opponents small stacks.

Is it too aggressive ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too aggressive since he did not raise preflop. He could be up against a variety of stronger hands at this point.

I would push the turn. Given the preflop error, I would play the flop as you did.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would push the turn. Given the preflop error, I would play the flop as you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

pushing the turn will just unneccesarily fold out some worse hands that would otherwise get all in if you chose a different line.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:51 PM

Preflop error ?

I don't see limping with AK as a preflop error, I see raising it as more of an error. You're building the pot with ace high (a.k.a. not much) and you're setting yourself up for trouble if you miss and put more money in the pot.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:51 PM

Is everyone nuts? Someone actually suggested that he would play for his whole stack on the turn?!?! I don't know the poster's here, so I want to assume he's being sarcastic, right?

At these levels, people play hands like 10-Q all the time, especially if they can limp in. Someone also may have hit their set of 9s or Js. The raiser could also have AK or he's stupidly slowplaying pocket Aces (which happens a lot at these tables (at least on Pokerstars where I play) On top of that, the UTG+1 called the $2.7 raise and re-raise which (barring any reading of extreme fishiness) could indicate something as well.

I would certainly bet again to see if the ace slowed anyone down. But to discount that there's already a made straight or trips is crazy.

I make some of my biggest pots when I flop a straight and just watch the people battling over top pair and overpair do all the raising for me.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:02 PM

I really dislike the call on the flop raise - you aren't hoping to catch a card to improve so raise (make it $5 to go or maybe $6 to go). If villain comes over the top again you have to fold. If villain calls you've got trouble on the turn, but probably check/fold is a good way to go.

BK -- why the hell wud you want to get your stack in there with top2 and a VERY scary looking board? There's about a gazillion ways to make a straight on that board and no reason to think that the villain wouldn't have 1 of them. I'm putting the villain on QT. My guess is our hero pushed the turn got called and was staring at the nut straight on the showdown... unless he got lucky and hit his boat.

Play Well!
[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]The Ugly One [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]