Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Flopped a flush. Did I play this right ?

Ok, so I want to quit my job and focus on poker. Look at this hand and tell me what you think. Thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($7.25)
UTG ($32.4)
MP ($20.57)
CO ($21.55)
Hero ($32.7)
SB ($27.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $1</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $1, BB calls $1.

Turn: ($5.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, BB folds, MP calls $5.

River: ($19.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24.2 (All-In)</font>, MP calls $9.07 (All-In).

Final Pot: $55.52

Final results in white:

<font color="white">
Main Pot: $41.39 | Side Pot 1: $12.13 | Rake: $2
Board: [ 2d Td 7d 7c 5s ]
BB balance $5.75, lost $1.5 (folded)
hootie1982 balance $32.4, didn't bet (folded)
MP balance $0, lost $20.57 [ 8h 7s ] [ three of a kind, sevens -- Td,8h,7s,7d,7c ]
UTG balance $21.05, lost $0.5 (folded)
Hero balance $53.52, bet $32.7, collected $53.52, net +$20.82 [ 4d Qd ] [ a flush, queen high -- Qd,Td,7d,4d,2d ]
SB balance $27.6, lost $0.25 (folded)
</font>

BTW, on turn, I knew MP had trip 7's. He likes to play a lot of hands and was loose with betting. He was the player I was setting up from the beginning. He kept hitting 3 outers on me at the river until I put him away on this hand. He didn't mind calling a pot sized bet on flop with bottom and middle pair. Also, a reraise on the flop scares this player away. He folded previously to any sign of strength on the flop so I didn't want that. That is why I just called.
(don't usually play Q 4 suited but thought I'd mix it up a little since I had been playing so tight)
Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Flopped a flush. Did I play this right ?

id say easy fold preflop but i like the way you played it post flop. my question is, would MP play a pair of 10s the same way? if he does, i think a big bet on the turn might scare him away. when he called, you probably was sure he had trip 7s and was calling an all in on the river. id say nicely played.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:14 AM

yeah, he'd play top pair of tens almost same way except the bet might have been $2 on flop instead of $1.

I think my raise on the turn makes him think I hit trip 7's, too.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 AM

I don't like the flop call.
You are basicly slowplaying a made but vulnerable hand.
I would charge a single A or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to see the turn.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks Van. You would raise him right there even though you know your opponent usually folds to nearly any raise on the flop ? I flopped two pair and raised him on the flop and he folded to my min raise saying he thought I had two pair which I did. When I hit my flush, I didn't raise for this reason. I think if I raise on the flop, he folds. I was willing to drop the flush if another diamond hit and the opponent showed strength.

Anyone know how good a Queen flush is at 6 max ? Just curious. For example, would you be willing to put all your chips in the middle on the river if you hit your Q J suited flush in a 6 max NL game ? What about a J T suited flush ? Just curious as to where some of the better players draw the line in 6 max games ? I busted a guy twice with K X suited flush on the river when he was playing crap like T 7 and 9 3 suited hands.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 AM

I think waiting until the turn is not a good play. A pair plus a high diamond is going to give you action, and will possibly even reraise figuring you for a semi-bluff. Make a weak raise on the flop hoping to generate a violent response.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 AM

I don't understand how this guy was able to catch multiple 3 outers on the river if he is so weak and folds to any sign of strength.

But anyhow, if you really felt you'd scare everyone away by raising on the flop, I like your line. You just have to be prepared to potentially get away from the hand if another diamond hits.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:05 PM

"You would raise him right there even though you know your opponent usually folds to nearly any raise on the flop?"

Yes I would. I don't care if he folds to my raise or not.

The thing is, if this hand is ever going to turn into a big pot it's probably because someone catches a four flush or fills up on the turn/river. Both situations will make your flopped flush look really stupid. Now you see why I'm content of winning a small pot on the flop?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know how good a Queen flush is at 6 max ? Just curious. For example, would you be willing to put all your chips in the middle on the river if you hit your Q J suited flush in a 6 max NL game ? What about a J T suited flush ? Just curious as to where some of the better players draw the line in 6 max games ? I busted a guy twice with K X suited flush on the river when he was playing crap like T 7 and 9 3 suited hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally play the 100 NL and Q high and J high are good most of the time. It's definately player dependent, and I don't find myself reraising all in when I hit it. If they bet a decent amount when I hit, I might raise, but I'm definately more cautious. I have busted a few people with A or K high when they have weak flushes. So, I'd be willing to push in against someone I have a read against, but I'd be more careful against an unknown opponent with a deeper stack and more money at risk.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 PM

2 thoughts here:
1 - the question of how good a Q-high flush is is dependant upon if the board is 3flush or 4flush. In your case if a diamond came on turn or river I'd be REALLY nervous as the A or K would likely stay for the draw.
2 - FOLD PREFLOP (or give up the idea of quitting your job to play poker). You're about 118:1 to flop a flush and I don't recall the odds to "make a flush by the river with suited starters" but I think its around 25:1. My point is this.. you're not likely to make enough $$$ to support yourself at these limits and at higher limits you're not going to get called down when you push in against trips so Q4s has flush value, but its limited against good players.

But I'm still a working stiff who plays poker on the side so what do I know...

Play Well!
[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]The Ugly One [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

A Fish and His Chips are Soon Parted!