Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 03:26 PM

Default King/Pete/Zin : party 250 K last night

I posted this in the 'official thread' but I thought that might be too buried deep - so reposting. I was in a state of nubness after this - so didnt quite post any yesterday.

Hi All,

I was in this and was doing well. Key word is 'was'.

Here is goes:

for once i started getting cards early. Became the chip leader when I busted QQ from my AA big blind. There were about 1000 left when i became the chip leader at 9000 chips! stayed in the lead on first break. Then lost a couple , went down to 500 chips and came back at 12000 in the chip lead again!

King Medicine - I think you commented something about me definitely making the final table!

Pete - I think we might have been on the same table for a while!

After third break - I had 14k chips and there were two guys on the table who had more than me. about 300 left in the tourney! I was doing well - stealing the blinds enough, not taking chances against big stacks.

any how, I get Kj suited on the button. BB is 600, big stack (26K) opens in MP at 1200. My first instinct was to throw away, but then I called (me at 14K) thinking i am going ahead only if i hit big, or he might be on low pair. well bingo - the flop is JJ7, big stack checks, i bet 2000, he min raises to 4000, i push he calls - and shows 77 !!!!!
I am out in 239th. the only two hands i was afraid of were AJ or 77, and his play would have been with anything from 88-AA!! Only if I had gone with my instinct to fold!

What do you guys think???
Old 01-10-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: King/Pete/Zin : party 250 K last night

Old 01-10-2005, 05:06 PM

Bad things always happen when you play KJ...muck it. That being said you flopped super hard its gonna be super hard to get away from JJJ king kicker here...especially against an opponent who would take you to the felt with j-10 and q-j.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:12 PM

i would fold pre-flop! but if i accidentally called, i'd definitely go broke on that flop! and then i'd find the period key, which can be used to end sentences!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:23 PM

I was on the losing end of the opposite situation last night. I was in 14th place with about 100 left. Limped in from the button with 2-2. Flop came down 2-J-J.

The only player that had me covered went all in. I called [put him on a J] and he showed K-J. The river was a K and I was out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 05:28 PM

poolshark,

I read King's reply in the other thread, and agree that you really shouldn't beat yourself up over this too much unless you had a read on the big stack that he was a rock and wouldn't play A7, AA, KK, QQ, TT, 99, 88, JQ, or JT this way.

KJ is always a dangerous hand to play, as it can lead to a LOT of second best hands, but it would have been pretty hard to lay it down after the JJ7 flop. There are numerous ways you might have played it to possibly minimize your loss here, but if you believed you had the best hand, you want all your chips in the pot.

Even after the flop, you were still live... A king would have been excellent, or the case jack, or a pair on the turn &amp; river. 23% to win.

Bad result on this one.

-Z
Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KJ is always a dangerous hand to play, as it can lead to a LOT of second best hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant to add that it's always tempting to call in late position with KQ, KJ, AQ, AJ, Axs, with the intention of laying it down if you don't hit perfect (the nut straight or flush, or cheap draws to the nuts). But it's awful hard to get away from these hands when you hit the flop HARD, but not perfect (flopped trips, two pairs, almost nut straights or flushes, draws to possible second best hands). But we all play these hands on occasion, and we all get burned on occasion. That's the risk of playing them. You have to decide for yourself if you want to take this risk in the future.

-Z
Old 01-11-2005, 03:36 PM

Thanks a lot for all your replies. As I had mentioned in my post, my first instinct was to muck this hand. I called knowing that I am not going ahead unless i hit hard and thats exactly what happened. I am glad I wasn't too off on the 'going broke' part Zinzan!

It is always a pleasure to hear from you guys. Say hello if you find me online - pool_shark