Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: A 40/80 hand - woes of an online player in a live game

[ QUOTE ]
And this was considered a tough game? Carlos is spewing tells out of his nostrils pretty much screaming "I have a decent, but not strong hand and I ain't afraid of you."

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but I don't think you can call a judgment on how tough this game is based on the actions of one player who, during this 1 particular hand, decided to talk. I've also seen him do similar things with AA or AK, so in this case, he could be sending tells or reverse tells.
-James
Old 01-10-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Carlos turns to me and says, "So you know, I shouldn't tell you this, but one mistake young players make is when they are bluffing, they always look for a second at the other players' chips hoping that they won't start moving towards the pot."

[/ QUOTE ]

You could wear sunglasses.

Are you sure he wasn't giving you a fake tell so you wouldn't guess about your real tell?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:50 PM

Yea,

I give off so many tells unknowingly. It's like I can't sit still at a BM table. It's awful lol.

The games are so soft but I could own them if I could just figure out how to play properly and control my tells.

Blackjack
Old 01-11-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but then I'd be a huge [censored]. I think I'll just try to control myself better. It could be a fake tell, but if I have any tell at all it'd be nice to get rid of. I really don't put much(any) stake in tells as part of my game and I sincerely doubt more than 1% of players use them for any profit at all, but it seems like simply controlling myself completely would be a step in the right direction.
-James
Old 01-11-2005, 01:00 AM

If theyre 'so soft' I doubt anyone at the table is using your tells profitably. Heck theyre probably just trying to figure out if they have 5 in a row or just 4.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 AM

as far as tells are concerned, i pick up on a few now and then but i can only recall one instance in which i picked up on someones unique tell. every time he had a big hand he would make a sniffle with his nose. other than that i dont have any recollection of seeing a guy stacking his chips a certain way, moving his shoulders in a circular motion, or anything odd like that. i pick up on basic tells like when a player sits back in their chair, they stare me down, their face turns red, their hands start shaking, they look down and to the right, the talk with confidence, they cant breathe, etc, etc. these tells are pretty reliable in most circumstances.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:21 AM

one of my favorite tells is when a player says something to the effect of "I think you're bluffing this time" or "I dont think you have it" . This almost ALWAYS means a monster. At the fwoods 5-5 the other day someone said 'I dont think you got it this time' after just calling a bet on the flop from the preflop raiser on a Q62r flop. After the hand he flashed 66.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but then I'd be a huge [censored]. I think I'll just try to control myself better. It could be a fake tell, but if I have any tell at all it'd be nice to get rid of. I really don't put much(any) stake in tells as part of my game and I sincerely doubt more than 1% of players use them for any profit at all, but it seems like simply controlling myself completely would be a step in the right direction.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Good man. Don't wear sun glasses. I swear, ever since WSOP aired, all I see is people wearing sun glasses while playing 2-4, 3-6, etc. This may be correct to some of you but I know for a fact that everyone who plays at that those tables don't know how to read tells because they also don't know how to play poker.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:48 AM

That is a very interesting and accurate tell.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:12 AM

James, can you tell me one thing. I am a 4-tabler PartyPoker 15/30. I have only one screen and I suspect I am developing an interesting wrist condition from having to speed the mouse from table to table. 4-tabling also makes it hard to get a good read on the players. But .... 4-tabling is the only way I can keep my VPIP down to a reasonable (ie only semilaggish) level. 1- or 2- tabling, I get bored, and the chips start going in on those intriguing 3-gap low suited disconnectors.
So my question is this: how do you cope with the problem that in live play you spend 95% of your time out of the game??