Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 10:57 PM

Default fyodor says I\'m tricky on the river

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Button calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Stupid or smart? Guy actually seemed so-so good at the time. Keep that in mind. Don't comment on preflop please.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: fyodor says I\'m tricky on the river

Were you going for the river checkraise, or did you really believe your hand wasnt good? I'm confused here cause I always bet this river.

Ponks
Old 01-10-2005, 11:12 PM

I was going for a check raise since he was semi good.

Yucky?

Ya, I usually bet too. I thought this was a good place to mix it up though.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:12 PM

In the future for situations like this, you should omit the Button's action because it biases analysis.

I assume you were trying for a check/raise on the river. At first I thought check/raising was too tricky here, but given your read is that he is a good player, I think check/raising is smart.

Your opponent limped pre flop. There is no draw--not even overcards--on the flop, but your opponent called your check-raise. More importantly, he called your turn bet. These actions seem to imply that he has a weak ace. You noted that he is good, so he will probably value bet it on the river when you show weakness. I've only dabbled in the 10/20 6-max, but given the game texture he is likely to pay you off with a pair of aces even when you've check/raised twice.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:13 PM

Yaya, my exact thinking. Hopefully this doesn't mean we're both retarded. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 PM

why did you CR the flop? do you really need to protect your hand that much with that board? your CR will surely make everyone else fold since they need to CC in a unraised pot.

better options:
1) bet it out on the flop. there is no draw on the board except for some stupid gutshot. they are not even get correct odds for that with one bet, but some would probably call.
2) call the flop and CR the turn. CR on the turn is better than betting out the turn because of the two flush on the board now. you would probably get some extra flop callers as well from the button bet.

missed river bet -- who cares. you would have made more by doing one of the two above options though.

nice complete PF though. that gives you more options for tricky play later. although you really didn't play that tricky. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Bet the river, you often miss a bet by checking here and sometimes you will get the CR in because he has a better hand.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river, you often miss a bet by checking here and sometimes you will get the CR in because he has a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

And occasionly you'll get to snap off a bluff raise.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:55 PM

I don't understand why you asked us not to comment on the pre flop play. That is exactly what I would do, raising AJo in the worst possible position with 3 others in the pot doesn't seem smart to me. For my sake are any others raising this??? because folding is clearly wrong so that couldn't have been what you were trying to omit.