Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Default About to start limit- 2/4 or 5/10 6 max!?!?!? experienced players?

Many of you probably read my posts about looking for a limit coach several weeks ago. As of right now, I do not have a coach. I will be moving from NL to limit on my own for now. I FINALLY received SSHE in the mail today, so I plan on starting as soon as I read it. I was going to create a poll for this, but I didn't know how, and I would also like to see who it is giving the advice. My question is:

Should I start at 2/4 full, or 5/10 6 max. I have talked with a handul of people about this, and most say full, but a couple very respected posters have said start at 5/10 6 max. I would like to hear you thoughts.

A little background:

No 'limit' experience at all. The bankroll is more than enough for 5/10 6 max, but I don't want to just jump into higher games because I have the roll for it. Also, what type of pre-flop chart is there for 5/10 6 max if I was to choose this route? I would like to have some type of guidelines never having played limit before.

I appreciate all advice/comments/suggestions. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: About to start limit- 2/4 or 5/10 6 max!?!?!? experienced players

from what i hear, 5/10 on PP is a rock garden and is a less profitable game than 15/30 is. if thats the case id say hit the 2/4 tables. why didnt you mention 3/6 in there? thats a very easy game on PP and you can make good money on there 4 tabling. i really think you should play the smaller limits until you feel comfortable playing limit as you say you dont know what youre doing. if you jump into 5/10 6max theres a very good chance youll go broke and you dont want that happening. make sure to read HFAP and SSH.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 PM

from what i hear, 5/10 on PP is a rock garden and is a less profitable game than 15/30

I've heard the same thing, but I think people are talking about 5/10 full, because a lot of the fish are in the 6 max games.

why didnt you mention 3/6 in there? thats a very easy game on PP and you can make good money on there 4 tabling.

I heard a while back that 1/2 and 2/4 played very similar, and that 3/6 was a little tougher. Since I've never tried limit, I thought 2/4 might be a better starting option than 3/6, but would definitely consider it.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:32 PM

by no means is 5/10 6 max a rock garden lol. wut are u smoking, its the loosest game ever and its extremely profitable. go there if u got the bankroll and be tight and aggresive.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 PM

You should start out at $2/$4 and progress normally through the limits.

$5/$10 6-max is beatable, but you will wash out if you don't have a lot of limit experience and skill before you begin playing it.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:52 PM

I'd say definitely start at 2/4, but don't be afraid to move up to 3/6 quickly once you get the hang of limit play.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:26 PM

Snowbank,

5-10 6max is a good and easy game, but not necessarily for you, yet. I would focus on learning limit for the time being, not on making money.

I think 2-4 or 3-6 is a good limit to start with, and I think playing full or 6max depends on your style of play. 6max is better if you're comfortable playing a lot of hands and marginal situations (which I guess means I think you need more experience to play it). Playing at a full table requires less difficult decisions.

I would suggest starting with full and see how it feels. Since you don't need to build a bankroll to move up to 5-10 just focus on learning limit, not playing enough hands to prove to yourself you're a winning player.

good luck,
colson10
Old 01-10-2005, 10:32 PM

This belongs in the small stakes forum. But since people are responding and the thread seems to be here, I'll add my advice which is to stick to full tables while you are first learning the game. At a full table, you can afford to play much tighter and will get into less marginal situations against tricky players, which is good while you are trying to get a feel for limit. It's better to keep things simple until you are comfortable with limit and then try to adjust to shorthanded later. Your variance will me much higher at a shorthanded table, which is also not what you want while you are picking up a new game. Although the SSHE recommendations are generally good for experienced players, I would play considerably tighter preflop than he suggests while you are first learning the game, especially in early position.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: About to start limit- 2/4 or 5/10 6 max!?!?!? experienced players?

Snowbank, if you have zero limit experience, then I would recommend playing a full table at the lower limits first so you get an idea. The 5/10 6 max on Party is indeed very profitable, but you will get creamed if you don't have good pre-flop starting hands pat down and execute its strategy properly.

But if you insist on going to the 5/10 6 max first, then I recommend this following link. It will give you a good idea how to get started:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=

Lawrence
Old 01-10-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: About to start limit- 2/4 or 5/10 6 max!?!?!? experienced players?

Bill:

I would start at 3/6 6-max until you get the feel of it. 5/10 can get a little expensive if your're not used to the intricacies of PP short-handed (the speed of the game, the swings, the agression, etc) limit play.

Start with 3/6 and read and reread the books, then move up when you get your confidence. I think you'll know when the time is right.

TSP