Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Two hands, how was the betting.

Hello All. Here are two hands from early in a Pokerroom $5+1 multi. I'm primarily interested in if I should have bet these hands as I did. On both of them, I wonder if a call would have been better than a bet/raise. In both cases my reads on the players were still minimal. Seemed like the usual bunch of low buy in players.

Blinds 15/30. Hero in BB.

Seat 1: AlgebraFreak ($1,570 in chips)
Seat 2: pashen-flowr ($1,590 in chips)
Seat 3: JohnnyMSr ($1,870 in chips)
Seat 4: ironmnz ($1,380 in chips)
Seat 5: glintir [A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] ($1,400 in chips)
Seat 6: jillybeansf ($1,200 in chips)
Seat 7: jack15b ($1,230 in chips)
Seat 8: djguy ($1,010 in chips)
Seat 9: guukstar ($2,440 in chips)
Seat 10: MykeBob1 ($1,310 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
ironmnz posts blind ($15), glintir posts blind ($30).

PRE-FLOP
1 fold, jack15b calls $30, 1 fold, guukstar calls $30, MykeBob1 calls $30, 1 fold, pashen-flowr calls $30, JohnnyMSr calls $30, ironmnz bets $200 , glintir bets $370 , 3 folds, pashen-flowr calls $370, 1 fold, ironmnz calls $185.

FLOP 3 to the flop, $1520 in the pot.
[board cards 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
ironmnz bets $980 and is all-in, glintir folds, pashen-flowr folds.

I figured there were too many limpers and a reraise would thin the field properly. Went with a minraise because I felt if the flop missed I had to bail, which I did. Should I have called and saved myself about $200?

Second hand...
Blinds 15/30, Hero in CO seat.

Seat 1: AlgebraFreak ($1,510 in chips)
Seat 3: JohnnyMSr ($1,877 in chips)
Seat 4: ironmnz ($2,270 in chips)
Seat 5: glintir [5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($985 in chips)
Seat 6: jillybeansf ($3,630 in chips)
Seat 7: jack15b ($1,238 in chips)
Seat 8: djguy ($980 in chips)
Seat 9: guukstar ($2,380 in chips)
Seat 10: MykeBob1 ($130 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
jack15b posts blind ($15), djguy posts blind ($30).

PRE-FLOP
guukstar calls $30, 2 folds, JohnnyMSr calls $30, 1 fold, glintir calls $30, 1 fold, jack15b calls $15, djguy checks.

FLOP 5 to the flop, $150 in the pot.
[board cards A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
jack15b checks, djguy bets $30 , guukstar calls $30, JohnnyMSr calls $30, glintir bets $250 , jack15b calls $250, djguy calls $220, 2 folds.

TURN 3 to the turn, $960 in the pot
[board cards A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
jack15b checks, djguy bets $60 , glintir bets $705 and is all-in, jack15b calls $705, djguy calls $640 and is all-in.

RIVER 3 to the river, Big Honkin Pot.
[board cards A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

SHOWDOWN
<font color="white"> glintir shows [ 5S,5H ]
jack15b shows [ 4C,10C ]
djguy shows [ 4S,AC ]
jack15b wins $10, jack15b wins $3,060. </font>

First off, the bet by djguy on the flop is meaningless to me. He has done a min bet on the flop in 60% of his hands, he seems to like to flush out those who missed completely. I bet $250 to specifically driver out the flush draw. It's early, my trips are weak, I'd rather just take it or get an Ace holder to call. Once the turn hit, I know the flush is a possibility, but I don't see how I'm laying the hand down, so I made a bet only someone who's beating me would call (which was dumb). So, should I have called the turn and river and possibly saved a few chips?
Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Two hands, how was the betting.

Hand 1.

Sry but I don't like this at all, for a Couple reasons.

1. You are giving yourself no chance to win the pot preflop, which is ideal for AK. Pot is already T350 nice pot for your stack.

2. You are building the pot with intentions of folding on a missed flop.

3. The Raise you made makes the pot so big that its all-in or fold on the flop.

I think this hand is either call(to be conservitive) or Push preflop you will get called with Pairs most of the time higher than 77 and sometimes with AK AQ AJ KQ.

Hand two:

That is on ugly turn card, your hand in 3 way action is dead to the flush here most of the time. I ike your bet on the flop, but dont think this is driving out the flush draws. You baiscally gave them Incorrect odds to call with a flush draw. I think a big Ace is raising as is two pair on the flop.

Turn: If you bet out anything at all here you are pot commited with odds to call. I would check here hoping to for a cheap river, unlikly. If you where going to bet all-in was fine because it gives you a chance to win right there and if you bet anything else you are PC and getting correct odds to call to fill up (if both go all-in). I think I bitch, mone , and cry at that turn and check fold to a push.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Two hands, how was the betting.

Took me a bit to check this, but thanks for the response. I overlooked a mumber of factors in both hands that are gaping holes in my thought process.

Hand 1) Not having it occur to me that pushing was an option, cause the pot was good enough.

Hand 2) Forgetting that check-fold is an option when the board gets ugly.

I suppose my attempts to be more aggressive so I'm not a ministack in the money have resulted in my leaving early.