Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 07:45 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Strategy Vs. Luck

Sorry folks, but I still feel these turbo events rely more on luck than on a players skill. There's little room to manuever and make any significant plays when everything goes by 3-4x faster than a standard online tournament (which already goes faster than a brick & mortar tournament because it's all electronic)

Have fun with them and good luck, maybe you can make some money. I'll stick with my slow poker MTT's.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:01 AM

Ilya, help me out, because I dont get the thinking here. You are going to be all in on your next set of blinds, so you willingly fold A/A when you're still 500 from the money and may very well wind up all in w/4/9 on your next BB?

grandgnu, sounds like Foxwoods has really changed the structure of the Thursday tournys for the worse. I used to play in those sometimes but now it doesnt sound worth the trip.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Tips for Turbos please.

stalling is incredibly lame.

i consider it only a hair less lame than collusion.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:13 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: IgorSmiles

[ QUOTE ]
Ilya, help me out, because I dont get the thinking here. You are going to be all in on your next set of blinds, so you willingly fold A/A when you're still 500 from the money and may very well wind up all in w/4/9 on your next BB?

grandgnu, sounds like Foxwoods has really changed the structure of the Thursday tournys for the worse. I used to play in those sometimes but now it doesnt sound worth the trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there are a LOT of really bad, loose agressive types. So it's easy to bust them when you get the right hand. So many players see all the bluffing and "action" hands on TV, and think they can play every hand like that.

The tourney started at 10am and I busted out between 2-3 pm, finishing just in the money. It was a good time, but yeah, with Foxwoods we poker players are just a necessary evil. They're making 20 bucks in entry fees off of each player, when they stand to make a hell of a lot more if you play their rigged table games or slots. At least they put up with us, Mohegan doesn't even have a poker room from what I heard!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes (if your stack is small enough that doubling or tripling through will still put you all-in on the next BB, with a shorter stack than most of the table)
Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stalling is incredibly lame.

i consider it only a hair less lame than collusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Party Speed tourneys emphasize some tactics differently than the usual MTT and may not appeal to everyone. If by "stalling is incredibly lame" you mean you avoid these tourneys because of the role stalling plays, that's fine, but if you're in one and don't stall in the appropriate places, you're costing yourself money.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much luck involved.

If you consider yourself a good player, you're giving up EV by playing in turbos.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Turbos are really only worth playing if you're up for a laugh.

They can be fun, but I don't see how you can profit from them.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Ilya

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes (if your stack is small enough that doubling or tripling through will still put you all-in on the next BB, with a shorter stack than most of the table)

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't see folding THE absolute best starting hand when you're short-stacked and have an opportunity to double or triple through. Sure, it may still only give you enough chips to be all-in on the next blind, but that's additional chips you can then (hopefully) double or triple through.

If you're so far out from the money, you have nothing to lose at this point and must take a chance at winning some chips. I personally think you'd have to be smoking crack to dump A/A pre-flop when short-stacked, in ANY tourney, turbo or not.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't see folding THE absolute best starting hand when you're short-stacked and have an opportunity to double or triple through. Sure, it may still only give you enough chips to be all-in on the next blind, but that's additional chips you can then (hopefully) double or triple through.

If you're so far out from the money, you have nothing to lose at this point and must take a chance at winning some chips. I personally think you'd have to be smoking crack to dump A/A pre-flop when short-stacked, in ANY tourney, turbo or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just thinking of a bigger short stack than I am. I'm talking about a miniscule stack. Like, 50 chips.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:17 PM

I've done extremely well in 6-handed turbos.