Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Interesting QQ hand early in $109

3 hand of tourney so no reads.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
MP2 (t1055)
MP3 (t1000)
CO (t970)
Button (t990)
SB (t985)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t75</font>, Button calls t75, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, CO calls t75, Button calls t75.
Min-raise from CO could mean KK or AA, but this is party so could be 55, KJs, etc. I re-raise to 150 planning to fold to a push.
Flop: (t475) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, CO calls t300, Button folds.
Good flop for me and I bet to protect my hand from flush draws, overcards. When CO calls I put him on AK, AQ, or possibly 1010 JJ.
Turn: (t1075) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t520 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t520.
Well now I can no longer beat JJ and have about 0% fold equity. Instead of betting out I go into check call mode. Occasionally opponents with monster hands(JJ, AA, KK) in this situation will get cute and check the turn and min bit the river thus saving me chips. I'm not thrilled by the allin especially considering I can no longer beat JJ. I feel the call is justified by the number of times you pick off an opponent bluffing. Opponent could be bluffing with a flush draw or an A for the gutshot. I felt folding would be giving my opponent too much credit especially considering the pot odds.

River: (t2115) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2115
Flame away!
Results to follow.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Interesting QQ hand early in $109

I think you have to call here, especially considering you already have half your chips in. I play mostly $109's, and a lot of the bad players will play an AJ or a lower pair than QQ just the way this played out. Your check probably made him put you on AK, so if he has any overpair (9s or 10s very possible) or AJ he's going to push here. I think those hands are much more likely than him having AA-KK (which you'd expect him to play much stronger pre-flop and flop). If he has two of the other three jacks, that's just how it goes. If he has a lower set there's no way you can get off the hand. So I call.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:56 PM

What are you dicking around pre-flop for? Put him in! On the flop, you should have also been thinking 33, 44 or 55, as well as 67s ("This is Party, after all") Hell, if you think they're that stupid, you could even be up against 34.

Or, if you're afraid min-raise = AA or KK, fold.

I've found that, generally, when somebody calls my preflop raise, and my pot-sized flop bet, they have something more than a draw.

About all you're ahead of here that are "reasonable", are 22, 88-TT, or some flush draw.

How many people that play in the $109s go all in one a one-card draw to a flush?

I hope that was Flamish enough for you, for a slight fee, I will abuse you further, if you like [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards

Gar

Seriously, I think there's a significant chance you lost this one to something that would have had a hard time calling a flop all-in, and folding the river leaves you with enough chips to continue playing for a while, given the stack-size/blind ratio.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:10 PM

In my experience in 109's,I think AJs is much more likely than a lower set or 6-7 suited calling the raise. Most 109 players are good enough not to play total rags, but a lot think AJs or 10-10 is a premium hand. I think if he had KK or AA there's no reason he doesn't push pre-flop. So I would call here. And if he did have Ax heart, he'd have 12 outs on the flop when you consider the gut shot, and he may think an ace is an out too, so he'd be justified in calling.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:25 PM

Michael C. was right on. He had AK of hearts I called his allin a blank hit the river and my hand was good. I certainly see the logic of pushing preflop but that is just not my style. I am more comfortable making a possibly incorrect laydown on the flop than pushing preflop and being called by a better hand or being drawn out on by a worse hand.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:35 PM

If CO pushes the flop, do you call?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:50 PM

depends on the buy in and reads, but I'd think it's hard to call a re-re-re-raised pot with anything but AA or KK.