Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Hand Help PLEASE!! Q8o from BB

Hey guys, I have a question about this hand. Specifically what did I do right/wrong? How would you play it?

Sorry Pacific doesn't have HH I can convert.

NLHE 5 MAX SNG TOURNEY

Blinds 15/30

Hero(T1370)posts BB
UTG(T1190) calls
Button(T835) Raises to T60
SB(T560) Folds
Hero(T1310) ReRaises to 90 w/ Q8o
*I figured if I was gonna play this hand I wanted some chips in the pot, not quite defending the blind I know but...(side note, I usually don't play this hand, but this hand is sentimental to me)

UTG Folds
Button Calls

Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](T225)

Hero Checks
Button bets T50 (no read, figure it's a button raise could have anything)
Hero thinks for all but one second of his time and calls

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (T325)

Hero checks
Button bets T30(fast like, I figure my call baffles a little and he is trying to steal, or he has a couple overcards)

Hero (thinks a good long while and) min raises to T60 (not really sure what I was thinking, I was hoping he would think my min raise was weak. I actually wanted him to push here?)

Button calls (I notice the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s and suspect he puts me on a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw,.)
River is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (T445) (uh oh does he have a heart flush)

Hero bets T776 (I am afraid he will check behind me, so I bet a little less than 2x pot hoping he will think I am bluffing on the 3rd heart with a oversized bet. Lets hope he doesn't have a heart draw.)

I'd really like to know what you guys think here? I have only posted one other Hand so far and I'm trying real hard to improve my game. I mostly win, but I haven't played enough hands yet to be fo sho, dig?

So thanks in advance for the input. I will post results after I get a few responses.

Thanks,
R [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

p.s.
I know already I will probably get slack for my PF play but like I said, the hand has sentiment for me.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Hand Help PLEASE!! Q8o from BB

You pretty much butchered every street here. Easy fold preflop with the blinds this low, and calling is much better than min-raising (???).

But since you did raise prelop, you have to lead out on the flop. A check looks too suspicious. He could still put you on a hand like AK, AJ, etc here. I know for sure he's not thinking "Hmmm... I bet he has Q8o here" after you raised preflop.

I'd probably stop playing hands for "sentimental value" if I were you. Probably a slight leak.

And the river is probably your worst street. You have no clue what he has (though the heart draw seems fairly likely), so you put almost all your chips in the middle?? Can you think of a hand that you beat that he'll call you with? I guess there's and outside chance he could fold a set or something to this bet since you're doing your best to represent hearts here, but I doubt he'd even fold that. And what if he does have hearts?? The play on the river is to check-call a reasonable amount.

Though folding preflop and waiting for a better spot is the best thing you could do for the whole hand.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:01 PM

Flop:

Whilst I'm all for slow playing at times, you do not have anything like a lock hand here.
Any spade is obviously a scare card, although a flush is pretty unlikely here.
However any 9,T or J puts a potential gutshot there and any card over an eight (other than a queen) may give your opponent two pair.
I check raise here, but not check call.

Turn:
Same goes as for the flop, the mini-raise with the idea to get him to push shows you are at least thinking ahead, but I don't think it's really worth it here. Too many free cards around.

River:

If he checks, he checks.
You have cornered yourself here. If he has KQ he calls in a flash and you have given him no chance to bluff at this.
Even worse is that he may read YOU for a heart flush because of your mini raise on the turn and somehow escape an AQ or something.
Check this and call a bet, that way you can take chips off the AK of spades, whilst he may escape with you pushing.

Two pair, where the second pair is low/medium is not anything like as good as it looks.
If he has AA here, you are letting him draw at five outs, and he's going to pay you anyway.
Stick your chips in, and if he folds, you've avoided a potential disaster.
If he calls, you've got a yummy +EV situation.

Lori
Old 01-10-2005, 02:15 PM

Don't be a dick and let your time bank tick down when you know exactly what you're going to do, it just wastes other people's time. I know that you didn't want to give away the strength of your hand with an instacall or whatever but 5 seconds will do the job instead of 40 seconds or whatever. Also, Q8o (SCIENCE) only works on Full Tilt.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You pretty much butchered every street here. Easy fold preflop with the blinds this low, and calling is much better than min-raising (???).

[/ QUOTE ]

9 out 10 times I do fold preflop here.

[ QUOTE ]
But since you did raise prelop, you have to lead out on the flop. A check looks too suspicious. He could still put you on a hand like AK, AJ, etc here. I know for sure he's not thinking "Hmmm... I bet he has Q8o here" after you raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would you bet out? Half pot?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably stop playing hands for "sentimental value" if I were you. Probably a slight leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately. I don't do it often, but you're right I should drop that habit altogether.

[ QUOTE ]
And the river is probably your worst street. You have no clue what he has (though the heart draw seems fairly likely), so you put almost all your chips in the middle?? Can you think of a hand that you beat that he'll call you with? I guess there's and outside chance he could fold a set or something to this bet since you're doing your best to represent hearts here, but I doubt he'd even fold that. And what if he does have hearts?? The play on the river is to check-call a reasonable amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems you may be correct again.

[ QUOTE ]
Though folding preflop and waiting for a better spot is the best thing you could do for the whole hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated above. DEFINATELY!!!!!

Thanks for the input.

-R
Old 01-10-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much would you bet out? Half pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's about right. Think to yourself "How would I play AK here?" and play it like that.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[snip]Don't be a dick and let your time bank tick down when you know exactly what you're going to do, it just wastes other people's time.[/snip]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I really being that big of a Dick? (serious question)
20 seconds

[ QUOTE ]
[snip]Q8o (SCIENCE) only works on Full Tilt.[/snip]

[/ QUOTE ]

Science?

-R
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Button Folded

and I won the pot. I never felt good about the way I played it though. And I definately know I need to stop playing that hand. BB is definately a weak spot for me. I wanna defend that money or something, I don't know.

-R
Old 01-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Button Folded

You're not really defending it here. Minraising pretty much guarantees you'll get a call here and doesn't really send him a message your bb is not going to be taken every time it's checked to him. Save blind defense for later when he thinks he can run over your blind every round and push him back. Give up the 30.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Button Folded

Yes in this case absolutely. I was kind of speaking in general about the bad habit I seem to have of playing bad hands from the BB.

-R