Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Excalibur

I don't know when you played but i go down at least once every 2 weeks, i went down on new years day and it was crazy and i also have gone the last 2 days and wanted to go tonight but have to work early tommorow. From my expierences(if it matters) i have played mostly the NL game, but recently said forget it when i've blown my $ 100 buyin 5 of the last 6 times i went , moved to 2-6 spread game this weekend and it is far more profitable in my mind than the 1-2 NL game. Playing it 2 days i was up $ 120 in 5 hands and the 2nd day was up $ 105, when the time is right flush chase for the $ 2 if you can limp or hell even $ 4 on the flop, if you hit a decent flop with it keep going. Otherwise play good hands and you'll get paid off and stack your chips up, i saw a guy blow his $ 100 buyin at the 2-6 last night, buy in for another $100 and then go on an unreal tear and win like $400 in 5 hands, and on the 1st i saw a guy sitting at the 2-6 table with what had to of been at least 1k in front of him, but who knows what he bought in for. I don't think you suck i just think you need to be aware of whats going on , IE people playing ace anything and all the crummy flush draws to the river, sometimes they pay you off sometimes you pay them off , it evens out i guess.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:13 AM

Default barf

the 1/2 NL game was pretty easy, and fun, until my stack was about 250 and some ridiculously drunk idiot pushed on me, i got kings and called, he showed 26o and needless to say, the encouraging 3 5 K rainbow flop was followed by a 4 on the turn and a blank on the river, hours of hard work erased [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

rj
Old 01-09-2005, 12:38 PM

Felicia's no-nonsense approach to the excal will simply get the money, with no frills, no fluffy-ness, no poofty-ness, not much at all except a story and a heavier wallet at the end of the night. That's why we like her.

al
Old 01-09-2005, 06:13 PM

I played my first ring game at the Excalibur just about a year ago.... the 1-3 game. I was out there for a wedding, and the 1-3 paid for most of my weekend. There were lost of swings, but a great game to learn without losing your shirt. And watch out for the occasional shark (unless you are the shark).
Old 01-10-2005, 12:05 AM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
anyone else get effed by the unpredictably bad level of play there? i know its low limit and whatnot to expect, but it still managed to do me in. any theories other than that i suck? it being my first time in vegas i had higher hopes, as similarly low limit at bellagio was a much more beatable game. am i just too predictably tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played there a few days ago, and had my head handed to me in the 1-3 game (I thought about trying 2-6, but was hesitant, as this was my very first experience with a spread-limit game). Basically, I was up about $50 the first couple of hours, but then variance slapped me upside the head once too often, and I went on a bad tilt and ended up stuck $160. I had AA cracked by someone who ignored my raises, and sucked out on me with 65o (I know he caught the 5 on the river, I can't remember whether he flopped or turned the 6). Feh. I had AA two other times, and only won one of those. And I also managed to lose with KK and QQ, while I was at it.

Never underestimate the power of any two cards.... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: barf

[ QUOTE ]
the 1/2 NL game was pretty easy, and fun, until my stack was about 250 and some ridiculously drunk idiot pushed on me, i got kings and called, he showed 26o and needless to say, the encouraging 3 5 K rainbow flop was followed by a 4 on the turn and a blank on the river, hours of hard work erased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got back from CES and played at the Ex for a bit Sat nite Sunday. I have a couple hundred hours of online NL play, but this was my first experience playing live NL. I found it hard to adjust to that much craziness with so much money at stake. It was apparent rather quickly that there were some crazy mofos who fancied themselves to be the next Gus Hanson. After seeing some of them show down ridiculous hands (made hands like above, or foolish bluffs) it was hard to call any big bets because they could literally have any 2 cards.

The only pattern I could see was a general unwillingness to raise an initial bet, though they'd sure call it. "Positional advantage" was reversed. It was actually better to act first or at least early since you could exercise a little control over the pot size. Take the lead and don't give it up except to fold. If you had to act last you'd almost always be faced with a big bet by the time it got to you. Given that anyone could flop anything from 2 pair to a full house (saw it happen with 23o), it was very dangerous to call. But maybe that was just the table I was at or an artifact of the CES crowd.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:53 PM

I was just there between the 3rd and the 5th and found the Excalibur's 1-3 game to be incredibly easy. I walked away up over $300 in about a day and a half of play.

If you were there the day/night of the 4th, my roomate and I were the completely wasted guys sitting at the middle table. We were there from 2pm until 4am.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:59 PM

I played the 2-6 spread limit at the Excalibur earlier this year. It was by far the loosest, and most passive game I have ever played. Everyone drinks and no one knows what they are doing. And EVERYONE is scared of a full sized bet or raise. It was great. Never play for the mininum. Alright maybe 2 bucks is ok if you are drawing to an inside straight or runner-runner flush. LOL. The best time to play is after dark. I sat down at 11pm with one rack of white. With in an hour or two I was staring across the table over 5 racks of chips. Most of the people at the table were not liking me too much. All in all in was a great time. I'll go back next time I am in town.

Another notable story worth mentioning that visit was my first trip to the "classiest" room in Vegas at the BEllagio. Sat down at 4AM at the table in the back corner. I sh*t you not, EVERYONE at the table was drunk (unfortunately including myself). People were actually throwing $1 chips across the table. If one sunk in a drink. THe player would send a red chip back. Unbeleivable. I think I made more shooting chips than playing cards. I left before it got out of hand up 80 bucks...

I can't wait to get back. Last time I was there was for a bachelor party, so I really didn't play much. I would never play drunk now either. I can't wait to get back for a poker focused trip...