Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 02:04 AM

Default overpair out of position

i have been game hopping a lot lately trying to find the game that fits me best and then go to work on specializing in that game. in the past i have played a lot of PP no limit and have been successfull never really played anything past the 100 buy in online. it has been a while and im just getting back into the swing of things. i kind of forgot how the party games play. how does this look Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (9 handed) converter

BB ($25.95)
UTG ($30.35)
Hero ($26.85)
MP1 ($7.5)
MP2 ($40.2)
MP3 ($23.45)
CO ($72.2)
Button ($49.15)
SB ($21.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $3.5</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($7.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, MP2 calls $6.

Turn: ($19.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, MP2 calls $10.

River: ($39.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $39.75
Old 01-09-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: overpair out of position

you could just limp with pocket jacks in EP and play them for set value or a possible overpair - i don't know how i feel about the check on the river, how much were you gonna call if he bet?

peace - jeff
Old 01-09-2005, 03:39 AM

His play looks like AA or QQ to me. My broadway cards looking to hit that pair?
Old 01-09-2005, 04:21 AM

I would put MP2 on a higher overpair than you. Given the reraise PF and the check behind with the K on the river, QQ looks like the most possible holding. I don't mind raising PF and then leading the flop, but you've gotta slow down after he calls you on the flop.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:32 AM

any help on reads here? Opponents tendencies etc?

I think if you bet the turn you should fire on the river as well. but villain's reraise PF and call on the flop might make me slow down.

Just my 2cnts

Play Well!
[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]The Ugly One! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

A Fish and His Chips are soon parted.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:39 AM

What does betting the river accomplish? Does AA/KK/QQ get this far and fold the river to a normal bet? Does AK/smaller pocket pair call? I guess he could be trying to run you down with 1010, 88, etc.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:33 PM

my thoughts were that i should probably saved my turn bet after he called that, i wouldnt have called a cent in the river QQ
Old 01-09-2005, 05:22 PM

Reraise PF usually means something higher than JJ. QQ KK AA or maybe AK, if your lucky. But like this i'd put my money on QQ. AA he probably would've raised on the flop, because he knew you didn't hold a 9 or 44 or something. If i were him i wouldn't put you on AA either because you didn't rereraised PF. Knowing this he would've raised on the flop with KK as well (and of course he wouldn't be checking on the river). He could hardly be holding someting like TT because of his reraise PF. AK doesn't seem likely because he would've been calling on the flop and turn hoping you don't hold a pair. So in my opinion QQ is is most likely. You could've tried to bet him off it at the river, but i wouldn't risk it. I would've cooled down at the turn, maybe even before that, considering de RR PF.