Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2002, 09:48 AM

Default Starting poker player

Hi guys,
I have a 300 BB bankroll and was wondering which of the following games should i play in.
Games that have more people seeing the flop such as 6+ but bigger pots or games where 3-4 players on average see the flop and sometimes even less with smaller pots.
Do you think i should play with second option since my bankroll size is not large enough to withstand large fluctuations or can i play the first option.

Thankyou for your comments.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Starting poker player

Games that have more people seeing the flop such as 6+ but bigger pots or games where 3-4 players on average see the flop and sometimes even less with smaller pots.

If the game has 6+ players, you might need the best possible 7 card hand most of the time to win the showdown. I find these games challenging, however when you have someone drawing dead, it shows a great profit.

When you say three or four people see the flop, has anyone raised the pot yet?

I tend to stay away from game that have aggressive multi way action, such as a raise a reraise and a cap. A loose passive game can show a great deal of profit if you have the patience to play it well.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:48 AM

I think the best place to start is the 6+ 'loose passive' games. I play in those somewhat regularly and if you have the patience to 'grind' it out - you will show a consistent profit. As MJ mentioned though, you will often show down and have to make a solid hand to win pots. Since these games are usually pretty passive you will get a chance to see the flop more often that you would in a tighter, more tricky game. The one advantage to the 'looser' games is that when you finally make a big hand you'll usually get 2 or 3 people to pay you off.

Overall, I'd say either game can definitely show a profit for you - but the loose-passive games are more fun and give you an opportunity to play a few more hands that you would routinely muck in the tighter games.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:47 PM

Since you're asking a question like this, I'm going to assume that you're a relative novice. If that's the case, you should welcome a lot of players going to the flop and beyond. These games play in a very straightforward fashion. If the game is passive, it's even better, as you will seldom be faced with tough decisions that may cost you pots.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:26 PM

Default You could make a living !!

* Games that have more people seeing the flop such as 6+ *

Where do you find these games ? You could make a living in that kind of games !! Go for it !!!
Old 09-26-2002, 04:23 PM

You say you have a 300BB bankroll, but you don't say for what limit? Is this online or a B&M near you? I'll just assume you mean online.

I agree with the rest you'd rather have a loose passive game where you can see a lot of flops for cheap, etc, etc. But don't pass up tough, tight games either. You want to be able to adapt to either style. That, and nothing will sharpen your focus and improve your game more than playing in the tough games (typically higher limits) where some real savvy players are found.

I ask what limit you're thinking of since obviously the higher the limit you play the less you'll be able to find those soft passive games that you'd like to be in. If you're talking about having $1200 for online 2/4 you'll have no trouble finding those soft games, but just bump up to 5/10 and those games get a lot tougher to find (again, I refer to my own experience online, specifically at PP).

I wouldn't worry about flucuations if you can cover 300BB (this is assuming you can be a winner and constantly improve your game to that end). That's the "standard" bankroll people throw around to withstand just those flucuations.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:15 PM

Default Re: You could make a living !!

BB try partypoker.com