Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 01:44 PM

Default KK on A hi flop

Villian was pretty loose; raised preflop about 8% of the time when were 5-6 handed; about avg post flop agression.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $10.
CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero BB 3-bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

<font color="green"> Yuk, I figure this guy is fairly tight with his preflop raises so I am probably behind when he check calls. </font>
Turn: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.
<font color="green"> I don't see any opponent laying down even A2 to a turn bet and most will pop me for a raise if they have a decent kicker. I want a cheap showdown, right? </font>
River: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.
Hopefully, he is value betting his pair of queens?
Final Pot: 6.50 BB

This is standard right? This gives them the opportunity to bluff the river, especially since the flush draw came in also.

I guess I could bet the turn and fold to the check raise but there is so much opportunity for a semibluff with almost any card that comes...
Old 01-08-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: KK on A hi flop

that's pretty much line as well...against a "loosey" i'm gonna bet the turn, and pay off accordingly if need be...but against a player i "respect" i'll check/call

Curious what others do? and how many think laying down to a C/R turn is good/bad?

--golf
Old 01-08-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian was pretty loose; raised preflop about 8% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe i should rephrase that to Villian was pretty loose with about a 50% vpip but only raised preflop about 8% of the time
Old 01-08-2005, 07:45 PM

I often also play it like that - no way an ace is going to fold. But did you consider checking the flop (pretending a slow-played AA or QQ) and betting the turn? Folds out gutshots and small pocket pairs compared to betting the flop - and if they call, they make a big -EV play. Makes A-crap also afraid; also saves you from flop c-r with A-crap which some might do for "feeling the water".
Old 01-09-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much whether it is right or wrong:

When only one other player sees the flop with me and I have a pocket pair and position; with only one overcard hitting the board, I am going to "try" to showdown every time.

[/ QUOTE ]
When that overcard is the Ace and preflop was raised by villian with tight raising standards I am definitely going to weak tight mode. As such I think if flop goes check check, then there is no way villian w/ an Ace is going to check the turn, thus cost 2 BB. I am basically betting flop, hoping for a free turn, cost 1.5 BB.

But like you said there is some time that villian will CR flop then bet atw, cost 2.5 BB. This is the time when I probably fold turn against non-LAG.

Against a LAG I probably will use the flop check check because I want to showdown and he will probably CR the flop (sometimes w/o the Ace). After showing weakness on the flop, the LAG will then bet my KK for me the rest of the way no matter what his holding. This ends up costing 2 BB instead of 3 vs the LAG.