Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Scaring away customers with a flush draw raise?

You basically can't protect a draw (unless it's some absurd scenario like a paired board and your raise forces PPs out, but even then you probably prefer them in). Two pairs or sets wont fold.

You simply try to get in as many bets as possible with your huge pot equity. In other words, you are raising for value.

However - if people behind you fold, it's not *terrible* either, since you get position and potentially cleans up some non-flush outs.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You basically can't protect a draw (unless it's some absurd scenario like a paired board and your raise forces PPs out, but even then you probably prefer them in). Two pairs or sets wont fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm not talking about protecting the draw itself, but rather the overcards. Maybe MP2 holds Qh Jh. My flop raise could make him fold, winning me the pot even if I miss my draw when a Q falls or the board brings two running hearts.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:39 PM

getting folds isn't as bad as you think...you WANT to buy yourself outs from people who have hands like A4 or A2...if you can win from a naked ace, that's good, you bought yourself two outs.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
getting folds isn't as bad as you think...you WANT to buy yourself outs from people who have hands like A4 or A2...if you can win from a naked ace, that's good, you bought yourself two outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Actually, one reason I posted this question was because I was given a hard time not too long ago (in this very forum!) for raising a flush draw with players left to act behind me. "You're losing customers; you should be going for overcalls," I was told.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, one reason I posted this question was because I was given a hard time not too long ago (in this very forum!) for raising a flush draw with players left to act behind me. "You're losing customers; you should be going for overcalls," I was told.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what the specific hand is that you are referring to but the advice could have been perfectly OK in the context of that hand. You could have a flush draw (or straight draw for that matter) where you can't buy any outs by getting other players to fold since spiking a pair is not good enough to win. While you may be getting sufficient pot odds (or implied odds) to pursue your draw, there may not be enough players for you to bet or raise for value on the flop. If you are then out of position and can't get a "free" card with a raise, then calling and hoping for overcalls would be the right thing to do. This is totally situation dependent.