Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 05:49 PM

Default What you think?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (10.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
Old 01-08-2005, 05:58 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: What you think?

couple of comments:
- against certain opponents, I'll just call AK out of the SB. that's more in full games, but if your opponent happens to be a LAG, then I'm a fan of just calling, then bet-3betting a favorable flop. if he's loose, you'll be going to showdown regardless, so just let him bluff/semibluff his chips away if he's behind
- if you're going to just call the flop bet, I think you have to check raise the turn. I don't see the point of a stop n go here. you're ahead the vast majority of the time. you didn't get enough bets in on the flop and turn when you were ahead
- there's no chance you're ahead on the river. it's tough to tell what UTG has. it could be anything from a slowplayed AA to a river set of jacks to broadway. BB probably has something like AJ. but yeah, easy fold. that card just creates so many possibilities for your opponents to beat you.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:08 PM

I would always 3-bet this flop and lead the turn. River fold is easy.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:10 PM

"- against certain opponents, I'll just call AK out of the SB. that's more in full games, but if your opponent happens to be a LAG, then I'm a fan of just calling, then bet-3betting a favorable flop. if he's loose, you'll be going to showdown regardless, so just let him bluff/semibluff his chips away if he's behind"

I don't think you can do this with AK because then you let the BB in cheaply and cripple your chances of winning unimproved. I like this line better with AA or KK.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:28 PM

I don't like just calling the raise on the flop and then betting out on the turn. If you just call the raise there, you're looking to C/R the turn.

Either three=bet the flop or go for the check-raise
Old 01-08-2005, 06:31 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

with AA/KK I bet any flop. with AK against an UTG raiser (in full games), I think it's a good line to take. the problem is, against an aggressive player, it's going to look like this:

UTG raises, Hero 3-bets from the SB, UTG calls

Flop comes with no A or K: hero bets, UTG raises, now what
Old 01-08-2005, 07:15 PM

You're right that it can make for a tricky decision but I don't think the advantages of calling preflop make up for letting the BB come in (also some missed value).

How to handle a flop raise depends on the player and how the flop looks.