Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 03:42 PM

Default AQo unimproved, bet or check behind on 5th street flush card?

Is this an obvious river bet in position here, or is a check behind okay with the scary river card? I have less than two orbits on the villain in MP1, but he's played about half those hands and not yet raised a pot. No reason to believe he's being tricky here, but any pair wins for him, even the river club doesn't make him his flush.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Old 01-08-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: AQo unimproved, bet or check behind on 5th street flush card?

Checking the river is the right thing to do.

I think betting the turn was close.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Yeah, check the river against this type of player - you know he's not folding, even if all he had was 54o or something else stupid. You have almost no fold equity, and you whiffed on your overcards. I agree that the turn bet was probably marginally +EV at best - you have no clue if your hand is the best against this type of loose-passive. Why pay more than yuo have to, especially if he won't really bet his own hands either? Just pound him next time when you hit your flop.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:30 PM

Does everybody agree with the flop bet? (I think I do, but I want more comments on it.) I've been questioning my Overcards-with-position bets on the flop, recently. Are they worth it, with this loose passive crowd? I feel like I'm just punching a pillow, and they just take it and wait for the turn to find their paired duece.

How worried are you about being reverse dominated?
-Sam
Old 01-08-2005, 05:02 PM

Definately a check on river. I tend to bet this turn because there are so many non-pair hands this guy will call the flop with, and its heads up. Should I slow down on this turn against calling stations?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definately a check on river. I tend to bet this turn because there are so many non-pair hands this guy will call the flop with, and its heads up. Should I slow down on this turn against calling stations?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a delicate situation but betting the turn with this board I believe will yield slightly +EV.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does everybody agree with the flop bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, the flop bet into 2 players with strong overcards and a lame perfect-perfect straight on a moderately coordinated board is pretty standard, even if they are loose. You'd really like the button here, and even loose players can't fold unless you give them a chance.

Everyone's already said it already, but checking behind on the river is definitely standard - no better hands will fold and no worse hands will call.

And I'm gonna throw my hat into the "turn bet=marginal +EV" ring.

Redd
Old 01-08-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone's already said it already, but checking behind on the river is definitely standard - no better hands will fold and no worse hands will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, one reason I posted the hand was because Villain actually had a hand that (a) beats me, and (b) might fold to my river bet. Any guesses?