Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Response to jcm4ccc and Eastbay

Jman,

I feel like there've been alot of negative reaction to some of the things you've said, so I thought I'd back you up. I'll start off by saying that you and I happen to be remarkably similar. I don't mind putting forth a pretty good amout of effort towards something that genuinely interests me, but if I don't enjoy something, working at it is pretty much out of the question.

I'm also inclined to take the easy way out, any way possible.

That said, I'm not really looking for huge success in my life. I want to live in mediocre style. I don't want alot of money, just enough to get by. All I care about is being happy with my job, whatever that ends up being.

Currently I'm studying film/animation. I have no effing idea what I'm going to do with myself when I get out of school, but I know that right now, I absoutely love what I'm doing. As long as I get to keep doing this, I don't care how much money I make or how successful I am.

I'm aware that I'm not going to be very successful, but that's what I want. I guess it comes down to what you're looking for and if you're willing to give up success at a job you hate for something you really enjoy.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Pick My Major and 2nd Semester Classes for Me!!! (OT)

Looking back over the thread, I just wanna say that I'm suprised how a few people reacted to you. I wasn't put off by any of your comments, and I think you've constructed a strong argument in a civil way. I think that you have constructed a strong arguement and if people don't agree with you or at least see your point, then they're effing lesbian.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 PM

I can understand how some people were put off by a few of the comments. That said, don't worry about people reacting poorly to statements that are positive about yourself. We (society) don't like it when other people say good things about themselves. We've been taught from a young age that it is unbecoming, and an indicator of a 'bad' person.

The way I read your initial post was, 'I'm trying to find some classes that might be interesting to a guy like me, but don't have a lot of busywork/rote memorization.' You got a few responses that were in that vein, but not as many as you could have. I'd echo the suggestions of econ and philosophy, and add one more thing. Try a few interdiscplinary courses. They are usually based around ideas that are cutting edge, thought provoking, and may push you toward an area of study that you haven't thought much of because it doesn't fit cleanly into a category.

For what it's worth, I'm two years out of school and had very similar thoughts when I was in school (private liberal arts college BS Business Mgmt minor in Communication). If I'd asked the questions I had like you have, I'm not sure I would have gotten any closer to an answer or a direction. But I would have thought a lot more about it, which can't be bad. Kudos.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand how some people were put off by a few of the comments. That said, don't worry about people reacting poorly to statements that are positive about yourself. We (society) don't like it when other people say good things about themselves. We've been taught from a young age that it is unbecoming, and an indicator of a 'bad' person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response. I understand this too, I guess.

I just was trying to explain myself. The fact that I test well and have above average intelligence are just that, facts. I don't mean to gloat. I admitted to being poor at studying.

I don't see what's wrong with understanding your strenghts and weaknesses and letting people know them when asking for advice that requires them being known (if that makes sense).

I'll check out some interdisciplinary stuff. Thanks.

-Jman28
Old 01-07-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that you have constructed a strong arguement and if people don't agree with you or at least see your point, then they're effing lesbian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha.

Your right man. Lesbians don't understand anything.

-Jman28
Old 01-07-2005, 09:24 PM

Default A Useful Exercise That May Help You Decide

You can try setting up a decision grid.

Have a list of possible decisions on the left side of the grid with your choices:
-> Take some time off from school to work
-> Technical major (hard sciences/math/CS)
-> Non-technical major (social sciences/humanities)

You can narrow further the option you like the best after it is chosen (i.e. non-tech major: philo/econ/english/history/ psychology/etc).

Then on top of the grid list things that are important to you:
Freedom to have fun (leisure time)
Environmental setting (where you will live/physically be)
Social setting
Current financial impact
Future financial impact
Enjoyment of work/fulfillment
Mental growth and stimulation
Difficulty of work
Proximity to family (imp. to some ppl)

Add other aspects of your life that are important to you as well.

Fill in a # from 1-10 (10 indicates ideal decision for the specific consideration) for each box.

Add it all up left to right and compare totals for each decision.

Hopefully one of two things will happen. You will either see the totals and be like 'damn, that makes sense, I should do that' or you will keep trying to add points to one of the decisions and this is a sign that it is what you would be most satisfied choosing.

Repeat this process to narrow down your decision (if you choose take time off to work, make a list of possible jobs: poker/corporate intern/charity/retail/etc).

You enjoy, and probably have an aptitude for, poker which is all about making decisions based on incomplete information so this exercise should be a way to organize your thoughts.

After you're done with this, post the results and flame Eastbay and call him a lesbian for suggesting that Philosophy majors are cafe bums and that you are a moron who wants to rely on entitlement (*sarcasm alert*). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 01-07-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: A Useful Exercise That May Help You Decide

I dunno. Seems like a lot of work [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Very well thought out post. Thanks. I'll give it a shot sometime.

-Jman28
Old 01-07-2005, 11:08 PM

Meh, thought you might say that, [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Although the time it took you to engage in this discussion took way more time and more effort.

I had a similar (as many posters have mentioned) difficult decision to make my sophomore year.

Yugoslav
Old 01-07-2005, 11:30 PM

Jman, this thread is too long for me to read all the responses.

I am a 1997 Madison grad. I only had one philosophy class, and it was with an aspiring Philosophy PhD. Apparently he went Harvard for his undergrad, Yale for his masters, and of all places Madison for his PhD. It turns out that Madison is/was the best school in the country for philosophy. Perhaps, you should just hang your hat on that.

Better opinion. I frankly don't think it matters what your degree is in, what will matter is how good your grades are. Just pick something that interests you enough so that you aspire to get top scores. If it's philosophy, then great! Quit looking.

Scuba
Old 01-08-2005, 12:05 AM

Yeah. I was joking. I'll give it a try probably. Thanks again. I really do appreciate all comments, whether I agree or not, as this is an important decision in my eyes.

-Jman28