Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 01:26 AM

Default confusing bet/call bet/call bet/call

I see this weirdness all the time from random bad-seeming players. It really confuses me because it is often (as in this case) from some fish with <0.5 aggression.

I mean, I'll generally put them on something decent if they're totally non-aggressive and they're betting into me, but then when I raise they just call it down. I then figure I scared them, but they bet into me again on the next street when a blank falls.

Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't. I just think this kind of playing really makes no sense. Maybe it's just that I play aggressively and that puts them on tilt a little, or they think I'm a big bluffer and they want to bluff back at me?

Here the guy had 2nd pair, which isn't so bad, but it's just a strange way to play. I expect people to either play aggressive, call it down or just fold, but betting then checking every street when you're raised is weird.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (9.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP2 has Td Qh (one pair, queens).
Hero has Ad Jh (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.75 BB. </font>
Old 01-07-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: confusing bet/call bet/call bet/call

Nothing really confusing about it, he really thought queens were the best hand.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:54 PM

I guess this is a bad example since he doesn't have a huge hand or an awful hand as is usually the case... but still, if he really thinks he has the best hand, wouldn't he 3-bet me at some point? He must, because he bets into me on the river with 3rd pair no kicker after I had raised 3 times this hand. Certainly strange for someone with no aggression.

I really wasn't trying to focus on this hand too much in general, just comment that I see several times where people bet then call then bet out again. It's like their brain resets and they decide to try again on the next street. Would this kind of play ever be correct? If you think you have the best hand, you 3-bet.

Maybe if you were in early position and testing the waters by betting out, then you get raised and call, then on the turn you make a big hand and you bet out again. That might be the thing to do, but most of the time I think people will try for the turn check-raise when they're in front of the raiser.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing really confusing about it, he really thought queens were the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's confusing to think why on earth Villain would think this.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's confusing to think why on earth Villain would think this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they're just "playing the player" instead of "playing the cards." Seriously.

Maybe they saw a hand where HERO RR the flop but folded to a turn bet. And so he thought he was playing some home game where he'd "represent" Aces. Or maybe he saw Negreanu's bluff get hyped on Fox Sports this past weekend and got all fired up to do the same?