Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Mr. Sklansky, Please Answer This Question

Don't mean to be pesky, but I haven't gotten a direct answer to my question to you about IQ and poker, which you have made an interesting topic of discussion.

My question to you, fairly succintly, was whether someone with a 120 IQ could EVER, no matter how hard they try, compete successfully in 4000-8000 holdem against the caliber of players you mention in your top ten.

You responded: "Your question is like asking me if you can excel in a sport if your hundred yard dash time is only 11.2 It makes it harder but if you have enough other talents it can be done. But it would be wise to think more about first base than cornerback."

I replied that, "My question is more like asking a professional football coach [poker expert] whether an individual with a maximum potential 40 yard dash time [IQ] can ever compete successfully as a professional wide receiver [4000-8000 limit poker player] in the NFL [against the poker players of the caliber you mention]."

I would think the NFL football coach could answer the question very directly. Can you answer it?

Thank you.

(Also, I think you make some assumptions that you do not or cannot provide evidence for, particularly your professed ability to judge IQ and assumptions regarding IQ scores -- but I still think we can gain a lot from seeing your answer to the above question.)
Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Mr. Sklansky, Please Answer This Question

You can't coach speed, son.

I think he did answer your question. He said that it's possible, but your other attributes have to be very strong. It's a nice way of saying very unlikely.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:31 PM

ANYTHING intellectual will ALWAYS be less likely with a lower IQ.

Again, I consider this example to pass the ol' muster...

If it will take 500 random people to generate 1 World Class Poker Player, if you took 500 people with IQ's of 140+, you would invariably get more than 1 WCPP.

ANYTHING is always possible ... but something is more probable in the realm of the mind the smarter you are.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-06-2005, 03:36 PM

Well, the football coach would probably reply that if your maximum possible 40 yard time is 5.5, it doesn't matter what your size, hands, work ethic, etc., it is IMPOSSIBLE to become a succesful wide receiver in the NFL.

Maybe he would say that if you can run a 4.4, it's possible assuming you have good hands, and all the rest of it. I don't know.

So, let's let Mr. Sklansky tell us what he thinks. And I really don't think a desire to "be nice" is going to let Mr. Sklansky get in the way of giving an opinion.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 PM

A 120 IQ would not preclude you from beating tough 4000-8000 holdem games. It would almost certainly preclude you from beating 4000-8000 multiple games. The exception would be if your IQ score was dragged down by a subsection that had little to do with poker.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM

"A 120 IQ would not preclude you from beating tough 4000-8000 holdem games."

Thank you. Please clarify. By "tough," do you mean one in which "the average IQ of the players in the 4000-8000 game is well above 140?"
Old 01-06-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"A 120 IQ would not preclude you from beating tough 4000-8000 holdem games."

Thank you. Please clarify. By "tough," do you mean one in which "the average IQ of the players in the 4000-8000 game is well above 140?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh dear God!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:08 PM

Imagine you're in a room with a few hundred people, and you all have access to a super-computer to share its capabilities. You choose to run a really cool and graphics intensive version of minesweeper.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine you're in a room with a few hundred people, and you all have access to a super-computer to share its capabilities. You choose to run a really cool and graphics intensive version of minesweeper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Good point. Granted, all of your posts get positive modifiers due to your avatar, so don't get too big of a head....

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com