Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Web Interface for Poker Tracker

I've spent the last day or so working on a web interface for my Poker Tracker database. So far, I've just got a simplified version of the general info page, but you can select a player and pull up stats on them in real time (PT doesn't even have to be open). At this point it's pretty much just a proof of concept, but I'm interested in other people's opinions/suggestions. What would you chage? What would you add? Maybe a gametime screen? Stats on currently opened tables? What advantage does having PT stats in a web browser afford, and what features would make the most of those advantages? Would anyone else be interested in using something like this, or am I the only one?

You can check out the prototype here:

http://24.163.253.67/PokerTracker/

Please be gentle, this is running off my home PC.. there's not a lot of bandwidth or processing power there. Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Web Interface for Poker Tracker

People will have to install IIS or Apache on their systems which leads to a big support issue headache there. People will have to run a web server which can lead to an increase in potential attacks/exploits on their computer since port 80 will now be exposed. You might run into permissions errors occasionally because PT will need to lock DB rows for writing when you might simultaneously be reading them. The web is stateless so the user has to constantly refresh the page to get updated data (meta-refresh is gay).

Just MHO.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People will have to install IIS or Apache on their systems which leads to a big support issue headache there. People will have to run a web server which can lead to an increase in potential attacks/exploits on their computer since port 80 will now be exposed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was actually one of my main concerns when designing this.. the alternative that I considered was to simply generate an HTML page and then auto-upload to a specified ftp/web server periodically. This would provide up-to-date personal statistics while eliminating the need for a personal web server, but would lose much of the interactivity. Personally, I don't mind running a web server on my computer, but I can understand people's reluctance.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:39 PM

This will not make alot of people happy.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 01:46 AM

I'd be real interested in this. I'd love to help you out with this project, if you wanted the help. Let me know with a PM
Old 01-07-2005, 02:13 AM

Are you using asp.net for this? If so and you have any questions, just ask, I have 3 years experience with it and do it and SQL server for 8-9 hours a day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you using asp.net for this? If so and you have any questions, just ask, I have 3 years experience with it and do it and SQL server for 8-9 hours a day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Initially I couldn't decide between ASP.net, PHP, or JSP, but I arbitrarily decided on JSP as it's what I've worked with the most recently. It could probably be ported to any web language pretty easily, once you get the DB connection it's just a bunch of SQL. Unfortunately, it's pretty messy right now (all lumped into one big class) since I wasn't sure how far I wanted to go with this, or what to do next.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This will not make alot of people happy.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand... do you mean people who hate it when others post statistics? I don't really think this will be terribly useful for that since to run it you would have to install your own apache tomcat server, punch a hole in your firewall, etc. and I'm guessing that's more work than most people are interested in doing. That's kind of why I posted, to try and figure out how this could be useful.