Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: It\'s ok if you teach him the odds

After reading a few of these posts that you are looking for acceptance. Ask the priest what he thinks. Ask your friends. Hell--maybe even your wife. Please don't let a bunch of life long gamblers influence your decision on family values and morals.
I read an interesting article in cardplayer a few years ago. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Is Teaching My Son Poker the Right Thing?

www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=12320&PHPSESSID=2ba069316 3e706c5fadc6dd574ae6476

Hope that works.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:08 PM

This is one of the far more interesting posts. From what I gather, it seems as though your concerns are
1) Gambling addiction
2) Becoming a proffessional?

Gambling has a bad rap from society, but if you think its fine and something you can share, then you should share it with your son. As for the areas of concern, you should make sure he sees it as a game of fun and luck. And as someone here mentioned, make sure to really educate him about gambling addiction, and the dangers of playing poker seriously. Though one problem with this, is that he may be fully aware of gambling addiction and such, but if he ever does experience something like that, its very hard to accept, and harder to seek help. I'm not a parent.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:38 PM

"For example, they kept tossing in their money when they had three cards to a flush after the flop because they believed winning was possible. After putting their knowledge of fractions to use, they now know that they will lose more than 20 hands before they get their cherished flush."

They forgot to say a backdoor flush draw is okay with top pair and pot odds...

"We tell all the children that if a person really loves them, they will love being with them while their skin is covered with cotton."

Translation: Shades doesn't get any tail.

"...we told her that she should stop being friends with people who get poor grades..."

Yes, poor grades never mean the kid needs glasses, hearing aid, instruction on better study habits and test-taking skills, or they are bored in a class beneath or above their ability. It just means they are scum...