Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Vid card for 2 monitors

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the Best Buy nerd knows what he's talking about...although it probably wouldn't be quite that dramatic. More than likely the motherboard in that system won't provide enough voltage to the AGP slot to keep that card stable. It's really A LOT more card than you need though. That is a high end 3d gaming card...way too much $$ to spend to just play online poker.

I did a quick search on Newegg.com and found this card

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...171&depa=1

Something like that may be all that you need. That particular card doesn't have any DVI connectors on it, so you may need to search a little bit on there to find one that has the connectors that you want. Do both your LCDs have DVI connectors? If so, you may want to look at the card that Nightwish was recommending above.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say "the nerd" overstated this a good bit and I concur with the post above. Unless you have some jumpers setup really weird or you are trying to overclock the processor speed on the video card for some weird reason, which it is already way to powerful for what you need anyways so there wouldn't be a need for that.

Anyways, I would see more problems with not enough voltage running through it UNLESS your prior video card had the voltage setup higher on your motherboard (at the voltage settings for the AGP slot are too high). In that case just make sure you adjust the voltage to the factory recommended setings and everything should be fine.

This would only be IF you were supplying to much power though...

BTW, I run 450 Watt Power Supply and the damn thing is so loud I want to throw my computer when I am in a good mood. If upgrading your power supply be sure to ask about how loudly the thing runs!!!!

All that said, you really are wasting money - Unless you are a gamer and play Doom, Quake, Myst, all that type of crap or want to add a T.V. tuner etc there really is NO NEED for this graphics card in your scenario.