Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Default QQ - Top set but scarry action. Should I bet river for value?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Average to good Party 2/4 game.

MP2 is loose with some level of aggression. He calls preflop raises with suited connectors and he more or less always bet if he's in late position and everyone checks to him. He seldom raise on his own though.

No reads on BB.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB thinks for a long time and then checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

I think I should've re-raised, what does the rest of you think?

River: (10.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

When BB checks I'm more scared of what MP2 is holding and I check. Should I have bet?

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 01-05-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: QQ - Top set but scarry action. Should I bet river for value?

I'm betting this river and if I get raised I feel disgusted and call [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And oh, 3-bet the turn next time.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:03 AM

you have to 3-bet this turn. and i would bet this river.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:13 AM

Why didn't you 3-bet this turn? BB can make this move with TT, 88, 77, QT, T8, T7, Q7, Q8, or J9. Only 1 of these beats you, and even then you have a redraw to the full house. Plus, MP2 could be on a flush draw and would be willing to spew 2 more chips to the center of the table.

When it gets checked to you on the river, you must bet. The club shouldn't scare you as it is unlikely someone hit a runner-runner. The 9 shouldn't scare you as that means someone hit runner-runner, barring the unlikely J8 holding.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 AM

Its entirely possible that you will find the BB in this case holding 87 and he is uncertain of whether to lead or check-raise the turn. It appears as though the other player has a heart draw. Since the BB checked his what appears to be bottom two pair to you and the heart flush didn't come, you need to bet. Also if you had 3-bet the turn its possible the 3rd player would have folded, thus allowing you to get the same amount of bets in with one less player to deal with.