Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 06:49 PM

Default KJs in UTG+1

Comments on all streets much appreciated. Apologize in advance for the lack of reads, just sat down. And the question sort of has to do with this hand in a position like this with no reads. Should I be raising pf in EP w/ no reads?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 (poster) calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls,
UTG calls $1 (All-In).

River: (12.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
Old 01-04-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: KJs in UTG+1

Nice hand. I like the preflop raise, especially with dead money in MP1.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 PM

I'm not certain, but doesn't SSH say to just limp in EP with suited cards T or higher? Raising in MP with KJs I've done. KQs in EP is a raise for me. Without a table read I think a limp is fine. But if you're looking to stir action, maybe coming in strong and showing the KJ will pay you off later?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you're looking to stir action, maybe coming in strong and showing the KJ will pay you off later?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that's my reasoning. I've really been working on showing more aggression and strength. I've been deviating a little from the SSHE guidelines lately pre-flop.

Any other comments pre-flop or 3-bet?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:46 PM

In full ring I throw KJo and limp with KJs. SH I will raise either. Flop 3-bet is fine
Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 PM

I would limp with this pre-flop from that position, but I also don't really like KJ that much.

The 3 bet, I really like. I mainly like it because you're not going anywhere with TPGK, and it puts him close to all-in.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:54 PM

I guess it's sort of a judgement call for KJs in EP - I did it mainly here to show a little strength at a new table - as suggested. Turned out it backfired. Thanks for the comments.

Results:
UTG has Qd 3d (one pair, threes).
Hero has Ks Js (one pair, jacks).
MP1 has Ad Ah (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP1 wins 14.75 BB.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:02 AM

The reason for raising hands like KJs in these games is that it will play well no matter how many opponents you have, and other players will cold-call with hands like KT, JT, A6, etc.

Every now and then someone behind you will have AA and you'll lose a few bets. More likely, however, someone behind you will be dominated and pay off all the way.