Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 03:29 PM

Default AK hand

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

I'm having trouble with routine sort of plays like this one..

Perhaps checking the turn was the right play? I don't think I can afford two bets here.

I have a tendency to bet out for some reason whenever I bet the flop.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: AK hand

Betting the flop is fine. Your hand might be ahead. If it isn't, you certainly would be willing to call a bet especially with your backdoor draw. If you can fold out a few folks, maybe you can pick this pot up on the turn.

On the turn, you've missed your overcards, your backdoor draw is gone, nobody folded, and the bets are now twice as expensive. You don't even have the right odds to call one bet, let alone two. Check/fold.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:44 PM

Mojo:

The flop missed you and is very draw heavy. You are out of position against 4 opponents, and your flop bet is very unlikely to win the pot. You really do not want to play 2sb to see the turn--and this is a flop that may indeed get raised. I think you should check the flop.

Betting the turn is just spewing chips.

--Rico
Old 01-04-2005, 03:58 PM

check the flop, if the bb bets be inclined to just call provided its not raised .. if the CO bets it, I'm raising here to drive out the other players, i still prob cr if MP1 bets

you have the top2 overcards, backdoor flush draw and should get around 11-14/1 on a flop call, whether to raise or not depends on who bet, and how many have called 1 bet when it gets to you
Old 01-04-2005, 06:44 PM

I think checking the flop here would be a mistake, its a huge pot, you have a good 7 outs, and you were the agressor pre-flop. Its a pretty draw heavy board and I really wouldn't like this getting checked around. If you check-raise, you're still out of position for the rest of the hand, how do you play the turn if you miss? I'd definitely bet the flop.

The turn's a different story though, 4 players stuck around with you and you still have nothing. I really think its check-fold time. If only 1 or 2 stuck around, I might be inclined to bet again, but not with 4. Since you did bet, and there were 2 callers and then MP1 raised, I'd be very inclined to fold it right there (It looks like he hit two pair or something. I think that raise pretty much tells you he can beat top pair, and you don't even have that). At this point, I'm really not sure if your Ace or King outs are still good even though you do have odds to chase.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its a pretty draw heavy board and I really wouldn't like this getting checked around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

Rob
Old 01-04-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its a pretty draw heavy board and I really wouldn't like this getting checked around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...

Yea, I guess since the pot's so big anyone with any sort of draw (even a gutshot, well if he bets and there's one caller) has odds to call, a bet doesn't really chase anyone out. I still advocate betting the flop though. When I'm in an early position like this, I really believe that staying the agressor on the flop allows you to steal more pots, as well as better define your opponents hands which makes playing the more expensive streets easier.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea, I guess since the pot's so big anyone with any sort of draw (even a gutshot, well if he bets and there's one caller) has odds to call, a bet doesn't really chase anyone out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This board is too draw friendly for anyone to fold to one bet on the flop. That said, how much equity do you really think we have on this flop? I pokerstoved it against 4 random hands, and we were drawing exactly even against all the other hands. It's not just them with a weak draw: it's us too.

I'd check-call an EP bet on this flop, check-raise an LP bet, and re-evaluate on the turn. I'm only betting this flop when everyone has shown the tendency to fold to a single bet on the flop, and that's rare.

Hero should really fold to the turn checkraise.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This board is too draw friendly for anyone to fold to one bet on the flop. That said, how much equity do you really think we have on this flop? I pokerstoved it against 4 random hands, and we were drawing exactly even against all the other hands. It's not just them with a weak draw: it's us too.

I'd check-call an EP bet on this flop, check-raise an LP bet, and re-evaluate on the turn. I'm only betting this flop when everyone has shown the tendency to fold to a single bet on the flop, and that's rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense, I pretty much autobet the flop in the EP if I raise pf and miss the flop, I guess I need to reconsider.