Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 04:07 AM

Default AA with a paired board on flop ...Help

When I first sat down, no one was calling my raises so I loosed up my raising standards. Then, EVERYONE was calling them. There is no middle ground on party poker.

AA in the BB

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

SB ($21.51)
Hero ($23.75)
UTG ($52)
Button ($38.54)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.75.
UTG (poster) checks, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $1.50, SB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($26.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11.75 (All-In)</font>, SB calls $9.51 (All-In).

River: ($48.01) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $48.01

What did SB have ? How should I have played it ?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: AA with a paired board on flop ...Help

Oh yeah, I believe over the last week. I'm probably losing money with K K , QQ, and A A on the $25 NL 6 max tables. I'm not kidding. Everytime I get QQ , someone has A A or hits something huge.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:21 AM

He had a 4.

4XBB seems small to me. Raise it to $3-4 straight pre-flop with AA.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:39 AM

Ok, thanks I will. 4x BB was standard ? I had a guy reraise me with 6 3 suited preflop. He reraised me. I had A 9 I think. He hit two pair. I'm like WTF.

My reasoning was that he wouldn't reraise me with trip 4's on the flop. He'd wait until the turn. Guess I was wrong.

He had 4 8 . He called an extra $1.5 preflop with 4 8. I added him to my buddy list but it seems I can't find him. I'm sick of these guys gettiing my money and then leaving. He left 2 hands later.
I'm raising bigger with A A from now on and K K for that matter. I'm losing money with those hands. I know it.

What do you think of my flop and post flop play ? I honestly don't think the preflop raise is the problem. I think my post flop play was horrible. People will call with any 2 cards any amount of money. I've seen guys call for all their money with Q 9 . Post flop play is where its at.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:45 AM

When the pair is 4s, I don't think you can worry about it. If it were KK3 and there was heavy action, you could get away from it. But with 50BB and that board, you get it all-in.

And realistically you make enough from 84o calling a raise like this in the long run to justify getting it all-in anyway. Not to mention money from KQ and AQ and QJ.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 AM

"And realistically you make enough from 84o calling a raise like this in the long run to justify getting it all-in anyway. Not to mention money from KQ and AQ and QJ."

-------------------

EXACLTY. The previous poster is dead-on. You WANT 4-8 to call you. And if he's going to call $2 pre-flop, hell - why not $5. More important than the outcome of this hand is the fact that you now how some very important info. about your opponent. He's gambling and he doesn't appear to be very imaginative. Get tighter and more aggressive against this guy. When you hit the flop, bet the crap out of it - don't worry about how much to bet, it sounds like he'll call anything within reason and when he wakes up and re-raises - the re-raise MEANS SOMETHING.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He had a 4.

4XBB seems small to me. Raise it to $3-4 straight pre-flop with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 4xBB is fine here. You do not want to vary the size of your preflop raises based on the strength of your hand. However, if you're seeing $3 and $4 raises called routinely, you can raise your standard. I'd go 4xBB and add a BB for each limper. I do this with any hand I'm raising.

GooseEye