Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 08:18 AM

Default T9s in EP

Here's the background on a live hand I'd like some commentary on:

1/2 NL, $100 capped buy in. I'm the shortest stack involved with $111.

I'm in the BB (seat 1) with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. My image is probably a little too tight for my own good. In my defense, I didn't think it was bad enough to break my self-imposed ban on advertising, and there are 4-5 players that will not allow themselves to be bluffed, so making plays is very -EV, and it's really not going to hurt that much, except for maybe with one of the players. He's a younger kid with a friend directly to his left, and he is tilting HARD. His QQ just got cracked by JTs in a 3-way all in. He'd been pretty solid up to this point, but now even his friend is taking advantage of his bad mood. He's in seat 6 this hand. The rest of the cast for this hand:

Seat 3 is a pretty tight player, except when he tries to isolate one of the LAGs at the other end of the table. He had the JT that set the other guy off.

Seat 4 is bad. Raises too much preflop, backs it up with ridiculously small flop bets, then folds to any signs of aggression. Small preflop bets are generally for value, bigger ones are for steals.

Seat 6 - The tilter.

Seat 8 - LAGgy as hell. Bets mean absolutely nothing. He went all-in on a KTT flop with 36o. He's caught a couple runner-runner flushes to stack people after getting dumb on the flop and making way out of line bets. Irony returns in the fact that he actually needs something resembling a hand to call with, but will go nuts raising with utter trash.

Seat 9: Far LAGgier than seat 8. Just hasn't caught as many cards. Called an all-in reraise on a K high flop with A6o. Hit a running flush to stay in the game.

Seat 10: SB, as loose-passive as they come. The only time I've seen him raise preflop was an open-raise all-in with 55 in EMP about 3 hands ago. He raised on the flop once (and only once) with top pair, garbage kicker. He's pissed away about 30 of his 100 rebuy. Calls if he hits ANY remote piece of the flop.

Pre-flop: 2 limps, 3 limps, 4 raises to 12, 6 calls, 7 folds, 8 calls, 9 calls, 10 calls, I call, 2 folds, 3 calls.
This call seems a little fishy to me, although the fact that I could literally flop the stone cold nuts, push, and get paid off in at least two spots made it seem good at the time. As it is, I still think 6.5 is a good enough price to even without implied odds factored in. Comments?

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

My only question here was how to get the most money in. If I open-push, I can almost guarantee two calls.

If I check, I'm pretty certain it's going to be bet by seat 6 at the latest, then raised by seat 8. It's about 50/50 if 9 would reraise - depends entirely on how big the raise from 8 is. The guy can barely resist putting in the third bet if there's a small bet and small raise in front of him. This is how I'd interpret the bets:

Seat 3 would bet MPGK or better. This would probably force seats 4 and 6 out.

4 will bet small since he raised preflop.

6 will bet smallish to try to steal.

8's raise would probably be to the 25-40 range. 9's reraise would probably put me close to all-in. They'd both call an all-in if they thought they had any chance to win.

What's your play and why?

Ps. Sorry it ran long, just wanted to try as best I could to convey all the info I thought was relevant.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: T9s in EP

Awesome reads. I probably just check raise push, but betting small on the flop - > push the raise has something to be said for it too.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: T9s in EP

I think the check-raise all-in looks good given your excellent reads. You never know: if you bet out, even small, they may all get very wary of you suddenly having a hand. And if you check there's a great chance for several of them to get committed to this pot. I guess if it gets checked through you'd be upset, but that seems unlikely.