Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Interesting turn C/R

Varying your play isn't neccessary online in my opinion. Just giving away money.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:46 AM

it is generally correct to call a raise (one bet) in bb if you have a suited connector and at least one other player has called. 65 is a little low, but almost correct. after the flop he played it poorly. many always assume you have AK and if no paints show they play their pair too hard to make you fold. they are not aware that it is almost 50/50 that you have a big pair (32 AK and AQ combos vs 30 AA KK QQ JJ TT combos). this type of play post flop is a loosing play.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:51 AM

I agree that you don't have to vary your play as much on line. Just trying to give a reason why he may have made this play. I play cash games almost exclusively live so I had my "bricks and morter" hat on. Good point though.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:01 AM

He probably thought you were an ordinairy party monkey and perhaps fired that second bullet with you're AK,AQ,AJ,KQ, 55, 33, 55, unimproved, get you to lay down 99, 88. etc. I don't hate this guy's play. You gotta 3 bet this Bob, he'd probably play ATs this way too.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:51 AM

Let me step up from the nano-limits to make a comment.

My thoughts here only apply to "thinking" players, which you assume you were playing against.

You raised pre-flop, and the board was T-high - not likely you connected.

I'd guess the turn check-raise is a feeler for AK. It represents a slowplayed set - and he knows you'll have to fold AK since he has an idea of what you are likely thinking.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:03 AM

First of all, all of you who say "3-bet! 3-bet! 3-bet!" weren't actually in the hand, and would probably not 3-bet if you knew Villain was a fairly well-respected poster.

Moreover, even knowing the results, I hate 3-betting. If Villain is a well-respected poster, he probably can lay down his hand right here for only 1 more bet. And then you lost a value bluff on the river. If he calls the 3-bet, he's still check/folding the river, so you don't gain any more bets from this line. Then you lose MORE money when you're behind by 3-betting (probably 2 more bets, I would imagine... Assuming you refuse to lay it down)

This was definitely played correctly.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:02 AM

I also dislike calling a raise out of position with 65s and only 2 people in. I don't know where you're getting the calculations that this is "generally correct."
Old 01-04-2005, 06:44 AM

i agree. He's not checkraising for value here with AT against the UTG raiser, he either has something big or is semi/pure bluffing. He would have checkraised the flop with a top pair hand like AT i think. Just calling the checkraise and calling/betting the river gets the 3 bets, but if you are behind he will cap the turn for sure.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:47 AM

Ak, KQ, KJs.......
Old 01-04-2005, 07:52 AM

"when a respected 2+2'er pops a C/R on me I have to think of the possibility that I'm behind to a 2-pair or a set."

There is always that possiblility- but ther have got to be a bunch of hands that he will c/r you with here- a lone T, a semi bluff- why does he put you on a big pair- you could be easily playing overcards here. With his range of hands and the fact that you still have quite a few outs agianst a 2 pair hand you need to three bet this turn. It also makes it harder for him in the future to c/r semibluff you as he knows he will face a three bet at least some of the time.