Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 08:05 PM

Default \"Protecting my hand\" disasters.

In trying to put some of the more aggressive moves listed in SSH into practice, I sometimes wonder that I am not doing things right. But this is just to check.

Fairly good game--not nearly as good as it was 30 minutes prior, but still frequently 6-handed. I had the BB, with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. There was a raise by a very loose raiser, the somewhat weak-tight SB to my right calls, and we also have 4 others. Therefore, 12 SB.

Flop is 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], giving me a one-card gutshot, an overcard, and a backdoor flush draw. SB bets into me. He is capable of betting draws--perhaps an open ender? Therefore I call, intending to raise on the turn if the odds are still favorable. There is a raise by the loose raiser--he could have any damned thing, so I call the raise. No one folds. This means 12 BB for the turn.

The turn is a Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Now I have two one-card straight draws, with the K overcard possibly good. SB checks into me. I check. Checks to loose-ass raiser. He bets, SB to my right raises. This troubles me because my K is probably no good if it comes, but I think my straight is good if I hit it. Therefore I three-bet to buy the one-card outs.

Guess what happens? Freaking everyone else calls the two or three big bets cold. Now there's some ungodly amount in the pot, like 30 BB or some damn thing, meaning I have to call even if the K hits.

Unfortunately the river bricks out, and the loose-aggressive guy wins with a pair of tens. Questions:

1. Was I trying too hard to win this pot?
2. Should I have detected that I was in a game of utter calling stations and saved the raise? Or did I play correctly and was just unfortunate that nobody folded? One person flashed a K and another flashed an 8, so had I hit the straight I was splitting (though it's not bad to split a pot that large).