Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Would you fold in this spot?

I am having a hard time coming to grips with the following play. Can't decide if it is a case of "no good play going unpunished" or taking final table strategy too seriously, and playing too tight.

Sat Night 9pm $100 NL multi on UBet. 181 entrants and we are down to the final 5.

UTG 40,000 T (not too aggressive, seems smart/experienced)
UTG+1 55,000 (same as above)
CO 75,000 (bluffs any chance he gets, very aggrsv, but he's good at what he does)
SB HERO 20,000
BB 175,000 he's table captain, mostly b/c of stack, not aggression.

Blinds are 1000/2000 with a 300 ante. Chip counts and blinds may be off a little, but not by much.

I am in the small blind with 10 10 planning to go all in.
UTG goes all in - I am happy to see this and I'm thinking 99 or lower pp, he would definately play KK or AA differently, so my only real worries are JJ QQ.
UTG+1 goes all in, CO folds. Now I have a decision. BB/chip leader is not going to call.

I am last in chips by a 2x, this would quickly put me at 60k, and in good position. But UTG+1 is calling an all in with 3 behind him. If he wins I am guaranteed 4th place $ which is $1500 vs. $1000 for 5th.

After much thought I fold. UTG has 99, UTG+1 has AK, and of course the board is all junk - very big missed opportunity.

My thoughts were CALL and I'm at best 50/50 to win hand with a decent chance of seeing not only an AK, but also an overpair. Fold and I am sitting with 20K and possibly in 4th place.

Was this way too conservative, or smart "move up" play????

Note: This was the first big tourny I've played since I started seriously reading 2+2. I have had 3 previous wins: 1) 1100 person $10 stars tourny 2) 66 person $200 Ubet 3) 120 person $100 UBet.
All 3 had some serious luck involved. Thanks to the advice from these pages this was the first tourny I played where I truly felt I was "playing" poker, and not waiting for good cards. Many thanks to all the posters.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Would you fold in this spot?

I'm not the xpert that some here are - but I have had my share of final tables as the short stack. I like the fold. It's far too easy to be up against a mix of overcards an overpair or worse, both.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:59 PM

I don't play anywhere near your level but I like the fold with two allins before you. Hold off a hand and let one of these guys bust themselves.

Last time I ignored two allins in front of me and went allin with TT they turned over JJ and AA. I sucks to see yourself fold the winner but there are four overpairs possible multiple ways each and 16 potential overcards to make a higher pair that can beat you. Against two allins from sensible players I think you gotta fold unless you have seen them pushing any two consistently.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:04 AM

Fold. You're 5 handed now, with a good chance of being 4 handed after the hand. TT is an easy push with 10xbb and no action, but be patient and wait for your AX which will very often be the favorite at the table. You've still got lots of time to make your move.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:36 AM

I would have folded and then kicked my dead cat...
good fold long term???????
I can't decide either.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the responses.

To add insult to injury, 5 hands later I woke up with AA and no one called. 3 hands after that I was all in to Chip Leader with AK vs A7 and he rivered a 7.

Cards happen.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:50 AM

The pay-out schedule might affect the decision a little bit, but I agree that with two all-ins you have to let this one go.