Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Cold Call with 99.

Firstly, I figured that I had good implied odds on the preflop call. Anyone agree / disagree?

I think it's possible that I should have capped the turn, so I missed a bet here. Again, anyone agree or disagree?

I'm pretty sure that the river call was the right thing to do. Due to pot size, folding is not possible. Anyone think I should have raised?

If they do, how would they handle a re-raise? Fold or call?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 calls $1 (All-In), MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
Old 01-01-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Cold Call with 99.

UTG+1 is almost all-in preflop. Definitely 3-bet this one preflop. If MP2 is sane, I wouldn't cap the turn HU.

I think you played it fine, but I'd get another bet in preflop.

Rob
Old 01-01-2005, 11:27 PM

This all looks fine to me. If MP2 is a tight player then I think you missed a few bets here.

Brad
Old 01-01-2005, 11:30 PM

David - I think you played this well, IMHO. You already had preflop raised - some might argue you should have reraised, but with 99 and facing one raise, I think calling made sense. Raising on the flop when you caught your set was the right play - the pot was already large - no reason to slowplay at this point. I think calling the turn was the right play - a raise would not have forced MP2 to fold and his re-raise of you, based on this board, tells me he has the str8. Calling the river was fine - the pot was large and you have to see it for 1BB b/c it is possible (remote, but possible) that he was bluffing.

Question - would capping the turn have been a positive EV play?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:33 PM

I'm in favor of capping the turn on this hand.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:49 PM

any reads on MP2 .. is he someone who will coldcall with suited connenctors? do you know how he plays the big pairs

I think you are shown 55 more often than 78(or 32 ugh) here, and a lone 7 seems highly unlikely since he 3bet the turn
Old 01-02-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in favor of capping the turn on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. It's fairly unlikely that he has a straight here, and if he doesn't, a turn raise is crucial. If he does have a straight, you're about 3.5-1 to river a boat.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:34 AM

Bruce, thanks a lot for your response.

I was afraid of the straight on the turn during the hand.

However, looking back on it, the only thing that the turn could have done was fill up a gutshot. Two pair is a quite likely holding, given the board, or perhaps the opponent was slowplaying a set. If he does, I have him beat!

There's only three hands that they could have that would make a straight, and it was raised from an early person pf, so they're not likely: 78, 73, and 32.

I STRONGLY feel that I should have capped the turn.

Other hands than the straight which would have liked this board are:

44, 55, 66, 77, 97, 98, etc.

The guy could be slowplaying a set or something, or hit two pair, or slowplaying two pair (a weird two pair, : 64/96).

As it turns out, the guy had 95! Not what I expected.

Forgetting the results for a moment: I had top set, giving me a redraw to the full vs. a straight, and I was on a board where it would have been very difficult for someone to have a hand that beat mine.

You'll have to forgive me for asking your opinion then overpowering it with my own, but I've had quite a bit of time to think about this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So... I'm pretty sure that I should have capped the turn. That leaves the river call and the pre-flop call.

*I happen to be completely confused as to why people are suggesting a re-raise, though I failed to take into consideration stack sizes for UTG (not used to doing that at a limit table!).*
Old 01-02-2005, 02:36 AM

I'm sorry, but I'd just sat down with this opp and had no reads.

I've just started using PV with my new computer in the last few days.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:37 AM

"As it turns out, the guy had 95! Not what I expected."

Don't cap the turn. Just calling the 3-bet is fine IMO. This guy easily could have had a straight given that he played this garbage. Only cap the turn against someone who wouldn't play hands like 95 and 87.

Brad