Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 AM

Default Re: TPTK facing a Post Flop Min-Raise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call and reraise him all in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this line is the best one to take. I would definitely not consider folding here as I think you have the best hand much more often than not. How loose is he preflop? Would he call your raise with a hand like Q7 or 57s? It seems to me that he most likely has top pair with a weaker kicker or is just bluffing.

I think calling and raising all in on the turn is best as the board isn't particularly draw heavy so you don't really need to protect your hand. Just calling here allows him to continue bluffing if he was on the flop, or it may convince him his top pair is good. In my opinion, folding here would be terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding Ding

That's the winner.

Turns out I played it wrong. I went ahead and pushed in over the top and he instacalled with QJ. I potentially let him off the hook with the re-raise as their are a good percentage of LAGs who would let the hand go at that point, so in retrospect it was definitely the wrong play.

Unfortunately a Jack hit the river and I got busted, but that's really besides the point. Once I calmed down I realized I really had played it poorly, thanks for confirming it....
Old 12-30-2004, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should I feel pot-committed at this point? Exactly why am I putting my tournament on the line at such an early point with so little to gain?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not 'pot committed'. You're 'taking all of the other guy's chips with a better hand'.

"Why am I putting my tourney on the line so early with so little to gain" is a line generally used by people trying to justify folding AA PF. It's weak tight and extremely wrong. Finding a fold in here is ridiculous.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:46 PM

I know you told us what he had, but a typical LAG is going to reraise the minimum with top pair and see where he stands. Is he outkicked or not? Just a "call" from a tight player is going to confuse the hell out of him, and when you just call and then reraise all in on the turn you're doing a good job of making him think you're bluffing. This means that he might call with something like Q9 or so, and you take the all-in. If he has a set and he's a LAG then all your money's going in regardless.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:40 PM

I reraise here all in unless you've got a great read on him. Most players heads up on a rainbow flop wouldn't be reraising here with a set. I think they would wait until the turn or the river if the turn is completely non- threatening. My guess here would be a split pot since I don't put him on AA/KK or he would have reraised PF. He may even be holding KQs and is trying to take the pot away from you thinking it missed you with a hand like AK.

My other option is to flat call his reraise to try and keep him in the hand. I prefer the push though since there is already 20k in the pot and you only have 25K left.

My only question though is why such a big bet on the flop with no likely draws. Your overbet seems like a steal and maybe that's why he reraised you.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:57 PM

After reading through the other posts, flat calling here is definitely the best line to keep him in the hand. I didn't see that your read on him was a LAG, so he could definitely have anything from KQ-QT here. I would only push against a solid TAG player on the flop to try and get him to laydown AQ. Unlucky that he sucked out on you.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:10 PM

Against the player you describe, I don't see any way I lay this down. I either push or call with the intention of calling any and all bets on future streets (since if you are ahead, he probably has 3 outs at most). The only way I'm getting away is if I have a note that this player often min-raises with a huge hand.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not too difficult a lay-down IMO, don't even need the clock, actually.

Next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Egad. Are you serious? You're folding TP/TK on a raggy board to a loose-aggressive player for a min-raise with ~30x the BB and 1/6th of your stack in the pot? Against some very specific players when you have a very specific read maybe. Here? No way.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:21 PM

did you just say egad? what are you, a cartoon?

I really like the flat call w/ the intention of pushing no matter what on the turn.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you just say egad? what are you, a cartoon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy weak tight batman!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not too difficult a lay-down IMO, don't even need the clock, actually.

Next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Egad. Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not really. But some players, confused or alarmed by the Check-raise, would throw in this hand and not know why that's usually a mistake against LAGs.

Nobody wants to appear unmanly in a forum filled with testosterone and I just like all POV's challenged and discussed.