Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 06:47 PM

Default 5/10NL Hand - Flopped a flush

6 Players. First hand so no read on opponents.
I have $1200 in BB. SB got me covered.

All fold to SB who raise to 20. I call with 84 in spades.

Flop: Q96 all spades.

SB bet pot. I called.

Turn: 7 of clubs

SB bet pot. I raised 280 more. Now SB goes all-in.

What should I have done?

(I folded so I cant tell what would have been correct on
this particular hand)
Old 01-01-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 5/10NL Hand - Flopped a flush

My thoughts on this hand are this:

A. The chance of 2 people flopping a flush on a 1 suited flop in a 10 handed pot are small, in a heads-up pot---very small.

B. Pot size bets with the nut flush don't seem to make sense here as your opponent would want to keep you in. Could he betting with a made flush bigger than yours to prtect against another spade ruining his hand.....

I think QQ, 99, AsQx, are far more likely than a made flush bigger than yours.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:34 PM

OP (original poster) -- Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the first reply; I have a hard time folding a flush here.

Along with the reasons that crzyjethro pointed out, you're getting better than 2:1 on the call, and I don't think he has a flush more than 68-69% of the time.

Why no raise on the flop? Without any prior knowledge, I would have made a significant raise on the flop to protect my baby flush, and to see where the opponent stands.

Ultimately, though, if you choose to play it this way and wait to see the turn, you have to follow through with your hand. This is a great turn card -- no pair, and no other spade -- and I don't think you can fold to his all-in here, which is less than a pot-sized reraise.

In the future, I would indicate the pot and bet sizes here -- granted, it's easy enough to figure out with knowledge of the blinds, but it's helpful when analyzing the hand. If the all-in were for $2k into a $400 pot, that's a totally different question.

Remember -- if you call and he has the flush, that doesn't mean you necessarily made the "wrong" play. If you're confident that he would make this play with other cards 30% of the time, then you made the right call and this happened to be the time that he had the goods. That's poker.

-DB
Old 01-01-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP (original poster) -- Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the first reply; I have a hard time folding a flush here.

Along with the reasons that crzyjethro pointed out, you're getting better than 2:1 on the call, and I don't think he has a flush more than 68-69% of the time.

Why no raise on the flop? Without any prior knowledge, I would have made a significant raise on the flop to protect my baby flush, and to see where the opponent stands.

Ultimately, though, if you choose to play it this way and wait to see the turn, you have to follow through with your hand. This is a great turn card -- no pair, and no other spade -- and I don't think you can fold to his all-in here, which is less than a pot-sized reraise.

In the future, I would indicate the pot and bet sizes here -- granted, it's easy enough to figure out with knowledge of the blinds, but it's helpful when analyzing the hand. If the all-in were for $2k into a $400 pot, that's a totally different question.

Remember -- if you call and he has the flush, that doesn't mean you necessarily made the "wrong" play. If you're confident that he would make this play with other cards 30% of the time, then you made the right call and this happened to be the time that he had the goods. That's poker.

-DB

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, your opponent could have the made flush 60% of the time, and your call might still be incorrect.

When your opponent has a made flush, you have no redraw outs. On the other hand, he could have anywhere from 4 outs (2 pair) to 10 outs (set).
Old 01-02-2005, 01:37 AM

Why play 84s if you're not gonna push it in when you get a dream flop?
Old 01-02-2005, 04:01 AM

I think you obvouisly have to call his all-in bet in a flash but I want to talk about your action on the flop...

For some reason I have been flopping a lot of small flushes out of the blinds lately and I have always bet them out because I wanted to protect from another card of my suit hitting and counterfeiting my 9 high flush or whatever. I know your were heads up but did you just call on the flop to set a trap or to see if another spade doesnt come and ruin such a nice flop. I would have raised on the flop right then and tried to have taken the pot down.