Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Was I destined to go broke on this hand?

Yeah don't limp with Q5s. Also you might get better responses by posting in the Small stakes forum...
Old 01-01-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 4 limpers ahead of me and I limp in with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about $250 on top of your raise -- would this player do this without the nuts?

Some players would make this sort of semi-bluff with a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but some wouldn't put their whole stack at risk against another big stack without the nuts. If this player is a LAG who likes to semi-bluff, I call here, but against most players, I feel compelled to lay this down.

This is an important characteristic of players in capped buy-in NL games, I think -- some are very unwilling to enter any sort of pot against another big stack, and will only jeopardize their stack on a sure thing.

-DB
Old 01-01-2005, 02:56 PM

I certainly don't see any destiny taking place here. How long did you take to call when he moved in. And what kind of thoughts were going through your head. Has the guy made huge overbets previously with really good hands? Had he been bluffing at all? How does he view you as a player? What kinds of cards is he playing, is he capable of having the nut flush, etc. I assume when you put that puzzle together this will become a tough laydown, but a laydown.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:00 PM

This is the perfect example of why knowing you're opponents is extremley important.

I myself, though, had the same exact occurance (and it was even the same suit) yesterday, and I couldnt get off it. I couldnt see how you could.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:10 PM

I was playing at the table for an hour. I did think about his reraise and thought this guy either had a Jack high or lower flush or two pair (A-10) and wanted to go all in thinking I had the A with the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Maybe if the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] wasn't on the board I could have laid the hand down. The prior week I was playing a limit game and folded a Queen high flush to a bet and a raise (there were four of the suit on the board). I found out after the hand that the raiser had the Jack and I would have won the pot. I think that also factored into my decision. I didn't want to make the same mistake again. Besides, it was only a cash game, but these types of beats are just wearing me down so much I'm not sure I'm cut out for the highs and lows of playing poker on a regular basis. After I get a beat like this or bust out of a tournament, Ifeel so absolutely terrible that it takes like half a day just to get back to my regular self. And when I win big, all I can think about is how I'm going to parlay my winnings into an even greater amount. Its like I can't see how I can ever be happy playing poker even though it is my favorite game to play. Anybody ever feel the same way?
Old 01-01-2005, 05:36 PM

A Jack high flush? The 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] were out.. I guess he could have J7 (If it's the type of game were ppl limp Q5s, J7 would make sense..).

Set/Two Pair: Given that he had a caller and a raiser on the turn, if I were in his spot with a set I'd call and hope the first caller doesn't reraise, and fold two pair. I'd be VERY unhappy about calling with a set, much less overbetting the pot. But stacks were deep, so he could easily call and hope to make some money if his boat hits.

It just wouldn't make sense to play any hand other than the nut flush his way, IMHO
Old 01-01-2005, 05:46 PM

I'm very very careful when playing anything but the nut flush. You didn't have much invested in that pot, so I think it was a pretty clear fold when he came over the top of you.

The guy who took your money played it carefully on the flop, and he made a pretty good move by going all in over the top on you (assuming he knew he could rule out you having the nut flush)

That being said, hand selection really would have saved you here. I can't think of many times I'd invest any money before the flop with Q-5s.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Note Taking

I have recently hit a bad string of cards, and am heading towards my first losing streak (i've got about 100 hours live play total, the last twenty I've been losing more frequently, about 100BB now). I am a relatively tight player, since I play at the $3/6, and it may just be bad luck. Nevertheless, I want to start taking notes on my live play, but am curious as to what people take notes on. Do you bring the pad of paper to the table?

Thanks all,
HG