Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 12:16 AM

Default Vegas -- Good games downtown?

Hello all, going to be in vegas next week for a con, and was wondering if anyone knew a good guide to games downtown? My first time ever at live tables, so preferably low limit hold-em, or low buyin ($50-$150) tourneys.

Also, anyone know anything about the rooms in "The Vegas Club"? From the reviews it looks like a good budget place, but still $30 a night makes me very nervous in any hotel.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Vegas -- Good games downtown?

If you are staying downtown, get a room at the Nugget, Queens, Fitz, or the Plaza. Vegas Club, El Cortez, Lady Luck etc are dumps. Reach a little more in your pocket and stay right. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2004, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are staying downtown, get a room at the Nugget, Queens, Fitz, or the Plaza. Vegas Club, El Cortez, Lady Luck etc are dumps. Reach a little more in your pocket and stay right. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be a dump, but thanks to CES unless I wanted to reach $200 more a night into my pocket it was the only option without taking a room in the middle of nowhere [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] As long as it isn't roach infested or anything, hay, I've had to deal with worse on other trips.

I'll be back to vegas eventuially for a real vacation, just some business I have to take care of in town for three days on this visit.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be a dump, but thanks to CES unless I wanted to reach $200 more a night into my pocket it was the only option without taking a room in the middle of nowhere [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] As long as it isn't roach infested or anything, hay, I've had to deal with worse on other trips.

I'll be back to vegas eventuially for a real vacation, just some business I have to take care of in town for three days on this visit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never stayed at the Las Vegas Club, but it can't be too bad. I stayed at the Plaza once (right across the street). It's supposedly worse than the LV Club, and it still wasn't that bad. I'm sure your room will be fine.

As for poker, Binion's and Golden Nugget have poker rooms. I think the El Cortez has something too, but I wouldn't go there, certainly not if I valued my life.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, anyone know anything about the rooms in "The Vegas Club"? From the reviews it looks like a good budget place, but still $30 a night makes me very nervous in any hotel.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Las Vegas Club rooms are nice nothing fancy but they are the biggest rooms downtown - certainly better then the Plaza.

There is a North tower South tower issue with regards to age of rooms check out www.cheapovegas.com for more info.

The Nugget had the best 2-4 game going when I was there two weeks ago, and the Plaza runs 3 or 4 $60 tourneys every day.

Don't miss the prime rib special at the Californian coffee shop

-Mitch
Old 01-01-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are staying downtown, get a room at the Nugget, Queens, Fitz, or the Plaza. Vegas Club, El Cortez, Lady Luck etc are dumps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the Nugget. My wife stayed there the last time we were in town and just loved it. It will be even better when they get the monorail between the strip and downtown completed...
Old 01-01-2005, 05:20 AM

Thanks for the advice, considering i'm getting there at 11:00 and checkin starts at 3:00 hopefully I can snag a room in the North Tower.

As someone who has never played live before, two quick questions -- how exactly is rake calculated, and are you allowed to ask a player to count their chips in a tournament before betting into them?
Old 01-01-2005, 12:52 PM

Anyone on the floor will tell you how that poker room rakes.

Every live NL tournament I've been in makes players or the dealer count the chips of someone you are betting into.