Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Re: zoo tsunami relief tourney

Wow - the support from this board really shows the true spirit here!

I just registered for the tourney and transfered $30 to Granny. Keep the funds flowing, folks!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:55 PM

great idea GrannyMae...just registered as well. Same Stars name as my 2+2 username. Not sure if I will be able to play though and thats probably ok since I suck at tourney NLHE. In the unlikely event that I play and cash I will donate all winnings. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2004, 12:33 AM

Granny,

Great idea. I am registered in the tournament and ready to donate any/all winnings..
Old 12-31-2004, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all those who money will donate 1/2 of their winnings (or more if they choose) to the red cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

At very sad times like this, I find that it is better to laugh with tears in our eyes than to just have tears alone. With that in mind, I share the following story which I hope some find amusing if not funny. I do not intend to make light of the current situation by any means, but I do hope this story serves as a moment's distraction.

In reference to the quote above:

While in college I had a part-time job operating sound and lighting equipment (in this case, a spotlight), usually working at various banquet halls when groups had entertainment with their dinner events. One year, a lot of big shots from some charity held their annual gala (emceed by the local TV weatherman, no less) and I was running the spot for the show and the 50/50 raffle that followed.

The 50/50 tickets cost $500 each, and with maybe 1500 big shots in attendance, a lot of tickets were sold. So the band is doing drumrolls as the hopper is spun, some local celebrity is drawing the winners...

....for 4th place, and $5000, the winner is.....
(4th place came up and claimed their prize, and sat down)

....for 3rd place, and $10,000, the winner is....
(3rd place came up and claimed their prize, and sat down)

....and our second place winner of $25,000 is....Marvin Flemish! (or whoever)

So big Marv comes up to the lectern and starts talking about the charity, and how wonderful it is, and how wonderful this night was, and how wonderful the things they do are, and how wonderful everyone was for coming that evening. Blubbering like a baby, he then announces,

"And I just want to give this back to MIRA (the charity). I just want to GIVE!!"

With that he went back sobbing to his seat, after donating second prize back to MIRA.

And I was thinking to myself, as I follwed him back to his seat with the spotlight...

"What a DICK! Nice going you big boner! Not only did you piss away a big score, but you also made 3rd and 4th place look like a couple of total CHEAPSKATES for keeping their prizes! And they can't just go back up on the stage and say 'Me too', because it's too late! Why don't you think of somebody besides yourself before you go popping off like that in the future? For Christ's sake, these people were generous enough for ponying up $500 for the damn raffle, they can't help it if they won, and you have to go and friggin embarass them like that."

After that lovely moment, there was a pause, and the emcee offered his thanks to Marv for being such a swell guy.

...and now, our first prize of $50,000 goes to Daniel McCarthy...is Dan here? Dan? Has anyone seen Dan? Well don't worry folks, we'll be contacting Dan about his prize. Thank you all for coming, and good night...

And at that point I was thinking that while it's possible that Dan had already left, it's also possible that Dan decided that they could kiss his ass if they thought he's going up there to collect (and keep) his prize after Marvin the over-sensitive douchebag just gave 2nd prize back to the charity.

So if I cash in this thing, I'll give my half to Granny and as for the other half you can all kiss my ass because I'm keeping it at Stars. And if I DO donate something extra (which I'm pretty sure I will), I'll be writing a check to the Red Cross myself.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:20 AM

Nobody's begrudging you half of the winnings.

I'm not sure why you posted it here, but in general, I do agree with your sentiments though I'm sure many won't. Charitable contributions satisfy me more psychologically if they are made in relative silence, even though that undoubtedly means less overall $$ for charity.

-Michael
Old 12-31-2004, 01:42 AM

this is great! see you all there. Love to play with 2+2ers and for a good cause no less.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all those who money will donate 1/2 of their winnings (or more if they choose) to the red cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

At very sad times like this, I find that it is better to laugh with tears in our eyes than to just have tears alone. With that in mind, I share the following story which I hope some find amusing if not funny. I do not intend to make light of the current situation by any means, but I do hope this story serves as a moment's distraction.

In reference to the quote above:

While in college I had a part-time job operating sound and lighting equipment (in this case, a spotlight), usually working at various banquet halls when groups had entertainment with their dinner events. One year, a lot of big shots from some charity held their annual gala (emceed by the local TV weatherman, no less) and I was running the spot for the show and the 50/50 raffle that followed.

The 50/50 tickets cost $500 each, and with maybe 1500 big shots in attendance, a lot of tickets were sold. So the band is doing drumrolls as the hopper is spun, some local celebrity is drawing the winners...

....for 4th place, and $5000, the winner is.....
(4th place came up and claimed their prize, and sat down)

....for 3rd place, and $10,000, the winner is....
(3rd place came up and claimed their prize, and sat down)

....and our second place winner of $25,000 is....Marvin Flemish! (or whoever)

So big Marv comes up to the lectern and starts talking about the charity, and how wonderful it is, and how wonderful this night was, and how wonderful the things they do are, and how wonderful everyone was for coming that evening. Blubbering like a baby, he then announces,

"And I just want to give this back to MIRA (the charity). I just want to GIVE!!"

With that he went back sobbing to his seat, after donating second prize back to MIRA.

And I was thinking to myself, as I follwed him back to his seat with the spotlight...

"What a DICK! Nice going you big boner! Not only did you piss away a big score, but you also made 3rd and 4th place look like a couple of total CHEAPSKATES for keeping their prizes! And they can't just go back up on the stage and say 'Me too', because it's too late! Why don't you think of somebody besides yourself before you go popping off like that in the future? For Christ's sake, these people were generous enough for ponying up $500 for the damn raffle, they can't help it if they won, and you have to go and friggin embarass them like that."

After that lovely moment, there was a pause, and the emcee offered his thanks to Marv for being such a swell guy.

...and now, our first prize of $50,000 goes to Daniel McCarthy...is Dan here? Dan? Has anyone seen Dan? Well don't worry folks, we'll be contacting Dan about his prize. Thank you all for coming, and good night...

And at that point I was thinking that while it's possible that Dan had already left, it's also possible that Dan decided that they could kiss his ass if they thought he's going up there to collect (and keep) his prize after Marvin the over-sensitive douchebag just gave 2nd prize back to the charity.

So if I cash in this thing, I'll give my half to Granny and as for the other half you can all kiss my ass because I'm keeping it at Stars. And if I DO donate something extra (which I'm pretty sure I will), I'll be writing a check to the Red Cross myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, what a douche bag
Old 12-31-2004, 02:16 AM

Theodore,

There is no dishonor if you wish to keep half of your winnings, should you place in the money. Those are the rules of this particular tournament and as such no one is privvy to make exceptions to completely donate their winnings.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:02 AM

Im out on this. How quickly we forget. I dont remember any help coming our way after Sept.11. Infact i saw many dancing in the streets. If im going to donate to anything im going to help in my own community. Start there. Then when all the kids are in school, the homeless have a home, the ederly (like granny) have decent health care thats when ill start helping the ingrates thosands of miles away. But im not totally without heart. I will be at the Liberty Bowl tommorrow and i will start "the wave" in honor of the them.

MRV
Old 12-31-2004, 04:40 AM

I was going to insult everyone who pooped on this thread. I was going to call them dirty lowlife degenerate disgusting maggot chewing SOBs, but I won't do that.

Instead I'll just thank them for inspiring me to join this tourney and to donate 100% of my potential winnings to this cause. Thank you granny for taking the time to organize this and cheers to everyone who made the effort to give a little or allot of what they have to someone who needs it more.