Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: TPTK hand played \"Tommy Style\"

[ QUOTE ]
I think, like Harrington, Tommy is much more aggressive than many think. I think he just posts the hands that will get the riff raff riled up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%, just messin' with ya.

[ QUOTE ]
I checked behind on the turn because I wanted to get to a showdown and I couldn't imagine a worse hand calling me there except maybe a flush draw. I still had a draw to the nuts and I was going to see the river on this hand. He easily could have turned two pair or already had a set and was setting me up for the all in check raise. I figured the subsequent river value bet/bluff would be much cheaper, since I'm not getting any more out of a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This all makes great sense, and I think getting to showdown on hands like this cheaply is a skill I need to work on developing more.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:23 PM

Hey hows it going. Let me know the next time you're going to play in one of the weekly tournies at the bay101. I played at a tournament table with you a several months ago.

I didn't read the result, if one was posted, but here are my thoughts:

I personally don't like betting 1/3 of a pot since the opponent can have a wide range of hands to call for those odds. It's more of a personal preference though. Since it's relatively early in the tourney, you probabyl don't have that great a read on him either.

The river bet is somewhat difficult b/c on one hand a pstar tourney has wild play with all types of players in the early rounds and he could be betting with a weaker ace or a weaker pair. Also your flop bet wouldn't have given me much information. On the other hand he most likely has you beaten. His bet also seems to price you in to call. If there are rebuys or a final add on, I'd probably call. Otherwise, I'd fold.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally don't like betting 1/3 of a pot since the opponent can have a wide range of hands to call for those odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't mind the small bet. I was planning on checking behind on any non-J on the turn if he called the flop. I assumed that he would check to me again on the turn if he had anything or not. Betting only 90 and not something like 150-200 keeps my river decision much easier. I would have likely had to call a much larger river bet if I raised more on the flop and may have even laid it down.

The only down side is that I probably would bet 150ish there w/ AQ, so I may have been leaking info to observant opponents....oh wait, this is pokerstars, nevermind.