Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Poker Books

At this point in time I own:

"The Theory of Poker" - David Sklansky
"Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players" - Sklansky & Malmuth
"Super System" - Doyle Brunson

What would be an appropriate order to read these books if any? Just wondering if one could possibly be considered as something close to a pre requisite for another one. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Poker Books

I think you are missing two books, Hold'em Poker by Slansky and Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller, Slansky, and Malmuth. Based on some research, reading reviews of these books along with the others you listed, they teach an "approach" to playing poker. With that in mind, IMO the best place to start is at the begining with Hold'em Poker, then Small Stakes and finally Hold'em for advanced players.
The first book is a beginner book but I just ordered it to go back through and fill in any holes in my game. At the very least it has a chart of the odds to call with from the flop. Then small stakes hold'em builds with more concepts and other charts for river calls and starting hands. Of course "Advance" will go the next step. I have been reading them in reverse order (not to smart) but figured out this new approach last night when they kept referring to the other books. I would read the theory of poker after theses three. A book on tells would be a good finish book.

Super System has some sections on limit holdem but like I said the other three books are like an approach. I think of super system with No Limit and that is way different from limit in everyway.

Hope this makes sense to you,

Scott
Old 12-30-2004, 12:14 AM

it all depends on your lvl of skill or knowledge of poker. super system for example, assumes that you have a strong knowledge of poker already. beginner players would get lost in the terminology alone, nevermind the advanced theory.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:20 AM

I started with "Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em" - good for covering the basics. Interesting charts for the beginer.

Then "Theroy of Poker" - the basis of your future strategy and style. Re-read often.

Then "Advanced Hold'em" - helps develop a more sophisticated strategy. Re-read often, but not as much as "Theroy". Do memorize the hole card rankings.

Have read several others, but the above three would get anybody off to a get start.

Oh, yeah - the strategies in the last 2 usally do not pay off in the low limit tourist games. Tourist and gamblers will not fold.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:03 AM

Browse around online and look over some starting hand selection, etc. Try to understand pot odds and all that stuff and then maybe try giving theory of poker a read. Then go with HFAP and finally SuperSystem will give you a couple different angles to look at. WinningOnlinePoker.com along with 2+2 forums should be 2 good resources to get you started and then the books should help you progress.